Unanswered: Database has been placed in a state - locked

Okay, I saw a few threads but none applied to my specific situation. I use an access database for one group of employees, so just one machine (running vista with access 2007) is used for data entry.

The database is used daily to get reports or to do updates to existing data by at least these people: Owner B, Manager S, and Manager L.

Manager (L) is the original author of this database - which he wrote years ago, probably on a machine running windows 98 with office software to match.

The database is "owned" by me, is in my network folder, as I am the manager of the department with primary use. I can open it at my desk, regardless of who else has it open. My computer is still running WinXP with office 2003 software.

However, owner B, manager S, and my crew are all unable to open it if manager/author L has it open at his desk. Additionally, manager S can not open the database if my crew has opened it in the morning BEFORE him. However, my crew can open the database if Manager S has opened it, but not if Manager L has it open on his desk.

I realize this might have something to do with L leaving the database in a design mode or some such - but does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DLThune View Post
    Okay, I saw a few threads but none applied to my specific situation. I use an access database for one group of employees, so just one machine (running vista with access 2007) is used for data entry.

The database is used daily to get reports or to do updates to existing data by at least these people: Owner B, Manager S, and Manager L.

Manager (L) is the original author of this database - which he wrote years ago, probably on a machine running windows 98 with office software to match.

The database is "owned" by me, is in my network folder, as I am the manager of the department with primary use. I can open it at my desk, regardless of who else has it open. My computer is still running WinXP with office 2003 software.

However, owner B, manager S, and my crew are all unable to open it if manager/author L has it open at his desk. Additionally, manager S can not open the database if my crew has opened it in the morning BEFORE him. However, my crew can open the database if Manager S has opened it, but not if Manager L has it open on his desk.

I realize this might have something to do with L leaving the database in a design mode or some such - but does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks!
    First, the database must be split into an Application (front end) and Data (back end). Each user must have their own copy of the Application (front end) that is NOT shared.

See: Splitting your Access database into application and data

Is the database split?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Split?

I'm not sure if the application is split - I will pass that tidbit of information along to the IT department and see if they can take it from there.

Thank you for your input.