Thread: For update of

Unanswered: For update of

Greetings,

While studying code for some minor issue, I came across this select statement in a java script. This has surprised me, It does not seem to use a cursor.

I tend to believe that I may not know, or I may have not used select this way.

Can some one help me understand why FOR UPDATE OF was used in this statement ?

SELECT * FROM Client_Acc WHERE Acc_Num = ? FOR UPDATE OF Cash_Amt,Real_Chips,Promo_Chips

Help is appreciated. (searched online , all belong to cursor def).

Regards

DBFinder

That is used to obtain an IX (intent exclusive) lock on the row which means that no one else can obtain another IX lock, nor an X lock, but others can get a S (share) lock. The lock is released when a commit or rollback is issued.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 11
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thanks

DBFinder

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    That doc does not tell the whole story. FOR UPDATE can be used without a cursor and is often used to obtain a lock as I described above (while the application examines the contents of row in a select and does not want any others to update it, but want others to be able to read it).

Also, it can be used for a positioned DELETE (in addition to UPDATE).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 11
    or if you have problems with locking - look at optimistic locking in the doc..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be