Unhappy Unanswered: porting oracle7 forms to oracle10g

Hi all,

I have an application that is made using oracle7 forms... Now I want to port the same code to oracle10g so that I can use the advance features... Please suggest ways to do this ....

Regards
    Oracle_Enthusiast

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I have an application that is made using oracle7 forms

Exactly what is "oracle7 forms"?
    There was both Forms6 & Forms9; but not Forms7
    use COPY & PASTE so we can see what you really have & do
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    These are, I presume, Forms 3.0 (if not older, 2.3).

Did you check this document? These tools are most probably not free.

Do these forms have v.2 triggers (written in steps)? If so, gosh, poor you. Besides, I think that there's no way to migrate Forms 3.0 to 10g, but in steps: 3.0 - 4.5 - 6.0 - (9i ?) - 10g.

Also, what about reports? Written in ... what? SQL*ReportWriter 1.1 or so?

Perhaps you should simply (right, simply ...) create the new application from scratch using advanced tools. Migration looks like toooooo much pain, and the result is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot View Post
    These are, I presume, Forms 3.0 (if not older, 2.3).

Did you check this document? These tools are most probably not free.

Do these forms have v.2 triggers (written in steps)? If so, gosh, poor you. Besides, I think that there's no way to migrate Forms 3.0 to 10g, but in steps: 3.0 - 4.5 - 6.0 - (9i ?) - 10g.

Also, what about reports? Written in ... what? SQL*ReportWriter 1.1 or so?

Perhaps you should simply (right, simply ...) create the new application from scratch using advanced tools. Migration looks like toooooo much pain, and the result is questionable.
    Well you are right that there is no way to port this application... So I have decided to go from scratch so as to use the advance features of oracle10g...

Since I am new to the concept of oracle forms I have created a sample application in which there are three fields rollno,name and percentage of student table...There is a back and next button.. Only one record is shown at load time and back and next button are used to navigate... For this I have loaded all the records at module loading time into a cursor variable row...

Now since this variable must be available to procedures of next and back button I want to make this variable row global so that i can use it in the procedures of both next and back buttons...

Kindly suggest some way to do this...
    Thanks in advance

Regards
    Oracle_Enthusiast

Why wouldn't you, rather, use built-in Forms functionality? It is efficient and requires no coding from your side.

When creating a data block, use a wizard. Layout you chose is a "form" layout (only one record is displayed at a time). Perhaps you'd want to set a "tabular" one instead (as there are only three items displayed).

Also, buttons you created are not necessary - Forms built-in toolbar already contains those buttons (as well as some others).

Selecting records into a cursor variable row is something you'd probably want to avoid - simply create a data block (using a wizard, as I already mentioned). Run the form. Press <execute query>. Scroll through result data set using a scrollbar, up/down arrow keys or previous/next record toolbar buttons.

As Forms are new to you, I think that you should use its functionalities as much as possible. Use wizards!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot View Post
    Why wouldn't you, rather, use built-in Forms functionality? It is efficient and requires no coding from your side.

When creating a data block, use a wizard. Layout you chose is a "form" layout (only one record is displayed at a time). Perhaps you'd want to set a "tabular" one instead (as there are only three items displayed).

Also, buttons you created are not necessary - Forms built-in toolbar already contains those buttons (as well as some others).

Selecting records into a cursor variable row is something you'd probably want to avoid - simply create a data block (using a wizard, as I already mentioned). Run the form. Press <execute query>. Scroll through result data set using a scrollbar, up/down arrow keys or previous/next record toolbar buttons.

As Forms are new to you, I think that you should use its functionalities as much as possible. Use wizards!
    Hi,
    Yes I created the form using data block wizard but still if I want to do this in my way how can I do that ????

I also used your method but could not get the results.... can you elaborate more..

Please help....
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Oracle_Enthusiast

What "results" could you not get? Executing a query is Forms' basic built-in functionality and it worked in every Forms version I saw. Create a block - run the form - press <execute query>. There's nothing to "elaborate".

If you insist on your own "navigation buttons": create WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED triggers. One would contain PREVIOUS_RECORD built-in, and the other one NEXT_RECORD.

Welcome!

Lipstick knowledge or ... ?