Unanswered: Quirky combo box?

Hello,

I am using Access 2007 and have come across something that I can’t figure out. I created a query that uses the selection of a combo box from a form as the query criteria. When I created it, it worked great. I understand that the form must be open and the combo box must have something selected to pass the data criteria to the query.

When I close the database and reopen it (the form and query), I get the pop up box to ‘enter parameter value’. Here is where it gets wierd. When I go into the form and change the name of the combo box to something else, and then change it back to the original name, the query runs fine. I am guessing there is something with the references that I am missing, but I really don’t want to have to open the form and change the combo box name every time I want to use the database (although it is a temporary workaround). Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by qh8519a View Post
    Hello,

I am using Access 2007 and have come across something that I can’t figure out. I created a query that uses the selection of a combo box from a form as the query criteria. When I created it, it worked great. I understand that the form must be open and the combo box must have something selected to pass the data criteria to the query.

When I close the database and reopen it (the form and query), I get the pop up box to ‘enter parameter value’. Here is where it gets wierd. When I go into the form and change the name of the combo box to something else, and then change it back to the original name, the query runs fine. I am guessing there is something with the references that I am missing, but I really don’t want to have to open the form and change the combo box name every time I want to use the database (although it is a temporary workaround). Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks
    Drew
    Drew,

Do you have all the Office 2007 updates installed up to SP2?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Good morning!

Yes, everything is updated through SP2. I even tried to reinstall SP2 again this morning to be sure, but was advised that SP2 is already on the machine.

Thanks
    Drew

Drew,

One of the first things I usually always do with every database I work with is to turn off the Name AutoCorrect Option. This can be found under Office Orb > Access Options > Current database

are any of the Name AutoCorrect Options checked?
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

Hello!

I checked and I did have auto correct selected. I turned it off (although 'perform name autocorrect' is greyed out but still checked). I still had the same problem once I reopened the db. I really appreciate your help with this issue.

Thanks
    Drew

You might have some corruption.

Before you do anythig else, Make a back up..

Make a back up.

Make a back up!

1) Have you tried compacting the database?

Make a back up.

2) Create a new blank database. Turn of Name AutoCorrect. Import all the object from the old database.

Make a back up.

3) try recreating the form in current database.

Did I mention, be sure to make a back up.

Perfect! Option number 2 worked perfectly!

Thanks so much for your help!

Drew

Drew,

You're welcome!

Glad I could assist.