Some Questions about Data Analysis

hello I'm new to this forum. I would be thankful if someone can please explain me the following...

-Basic understanding of cleaning data fields according to predetermined edit specifications.
    -Basic knowledge about using PDA for field data collection
    -Knowledge or Experience of CSPro and or other GIS softwares
    (I've tried to download CSPro from http://www.measuredhs.com/cspro/software/download.cfm but its giving me error.
    Also, if there is some other GIS software, can you please tell me its name so I can use it.)
    -Practical experience in Emergency data collection, data analysis and database management
    ( I understand it but haven't worked on it. If I understand correctly, its to deal with emergency situations like earthquakes etc?)

I'm currently using Microsoft Excel for my work but also looking for some other software's which can make my work easy and help me in analyzing the data in an efficient manner so its easy for the program managers to take corrective action based on the data. I know some software's like Minitab 16, SPSS, Dev Info and EPI data but i'm confused as to which one to use. Also, when I search for data analysis software, I also came across "BEST Viewpoints".

I would be thankful if someone can please guide me as to which one of these or any other software I should use which can help me to better present the data in the graphical formats (but not limited to graphics only).

Thanks & Regards

I assume you are applying for this job:
    http://un.rozee.pk/job-detail.php?ji...ZTVkRBOStB&ac=
    ...but already have "Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu."?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    I assume you are applying for this job:
    http://un.rozee.pk/job-detail.php?ji...ZTVkRBOStB&ac=
    ...but already have "Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu."?
    yes I'm applying for that vacancy and I'm from Pakistan

All the information you request is available by google search.

You want us to help you get a job for which you admit you are unqualified?

blindman

All the information you request is available by google search.

You want us to help you get a job for which you admit you are unqualified?

I could NOT find the information that I require by googling it, that's why I registered on this forum and asked what I've asked. If you don't know the answers as well, then why are you replying?

Let me rephrase blindman's question. How much are you willing to pay for us to help you land this job?

I would like an ongoing commission. Maybe, 5% of gross pay per year.

blindman

I would like an ongoing commission. Maybe, 5% of gross pay per year.
    What percentage do you want if they end up working for you?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by sinnersaint View Post
    I would be thankful if someone can please guide me as to which one of these or any other software I should use which can help me to better present the data in the graphical formats (but not limited to graphics only).
    I don't really understand what you are wanting, you'll have to give me some more specific examples.

If you have this data in Excel, it can produce all kinds of graphic presentations, and it can format the raw data in more ways than are practical to try to manage. At least from my perspective, it seems like an "embarassment of riches" in terms of the tools that it gives you.

Please give me some examples of ways that Excel falls short of what you desire, or tasks you want to accomplish that it can't achieve.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I don't really understand what you are wanting, you'll have to give me some more specific examples.

If you have this data in Excel, it can produce all kinds of graphic presentations, and it can format the raw data in more ways than are practical to try to manage. At least from my perspective, it seems like an "embarassment of riches" in terms of the tools that it gives you.

Please give me some examples of ways that Excel falls short of what you desire, or tasks you want to accomplish that it can't achieve.

-PatP
    well, I recently attended a training on Dev.Info User Interface and making graphs in it seems more easier to me but then its admin interface is a little difficult compared to excel.

Also, one can colour the maps+mark them (like symbols) in Dev Info according to a particular criteria which I don't think is available in excel?

I'm basically working on a monthly basis on excel files. And if there is some change needed then I've to change all 14 files (Jan-Dec, 2 consolidation files) which is rather difficult. So, I was looking for some alternative tools which can make my work easier in all these regards. Plus, I'm also looking to learn software's not just for work but also for self-education.

Hope it makes sense?

I'm not familiar with Dev.info, so I can't help much with comparisions or related ideas there.

Excel does a great job of mapping when used with MapPoint.

It sounds to me like you (or your organization) are using Excel to collect, store, and present data every month. Excel can certainly do that, but Microsoft Access has better tools for that kind of job. Microsoft Access will also tend to lead you to use VBA which will add a great deal to both the power and the complexity of using Office Applications.

-PatP

^ Thanks but I would rather not use Visual Basic. I've used VB in college days and programming is a biatch :P

I would try using Mappoint with excel, hope its similar to devinfo

VBA definitely isn't VB. They are related like dogs and horses, but different beasties.

-PatP