Unanswered: DB2 Catalog Node

Hi Floks,

sorry there have been a couple of threads on catalog, but i couldn't find my answer.

In the db2 catalog command
    "db2 catalog tcpip node nodeName remote serverName server portNo "

for servername -> we can use the Ip address right ?
    and what should be the nodename-> ?, Can we choose any name for the remote db server and use it. and

Thanks in advance floks !

Provided Answers: 5
    Yes, servername can be an IP address. And you can use whatever lights your fire for the node name.

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    you can use whatever lights your fire for the node name.
    ...as long as it has no more than 8 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    ...as long as it has no more than 8 characters.
    Hi Andy and n_i,

Thanks for the quick reply guys ....i really appreciate

alright as i can give my db node name as anything i want as far as it under 8 characters ...cool !

It was little confusing as every were it says node name but no where it was mentioned ...Anyhow thanks guys !

So folks...If have a quick question, i know that we need to catalog the remote db2 node to communication with db2 client .

But if we are using some other tool like DB visualizer( client), do we need to catalog the remote db node ....but i don't see any CLP for executing those commands ..?

Can some one share there experience !

Thanks in Advance !

You don't need to catalog the database when using a JDBC connection - if I recall correctly, that's what DbVisualiser uses. Otherwise you should catalog the database in CLP, then refer to its name when creating the data source in the application.

Thanks n_i for the quick response.

I never used the Db visualizer before ...I use db2 control center.

Anyhow it was really helpful ...thanks.

Can you give me little info regarding this issues too ...i'm not a DBA..just trying to understand the things.

I need to create a schema on the db2 for my application and the DBA said he created the db2 instance db2inst default one..now,

1) I should be able to connect to the db2 instance db2inst with dbvisualizer even though nothing's created in instance right( ie objects) ?

2) If i need to create the db2( ie tablespace) schema using this instance i guess the db2inst instance user should have admin privileges to create all the database objected for the schema right ?

So how can i see what are the privileges that this user need to have , in-order to create those objects .

Thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by sdsu View Post

1) I should be able to connect to the db2 instance db2inst with dbvisualizer even though nothing's created in instance right( ie objects) ?
    You don't connect to an instance; you connect to a database, and the DBA will need to create one for you. Then you can create your schema and objects in that database, given sufficient privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsu View Post
    2) how can i see what are the privileges that this user need to have , in-order to create those objects .
    They are indicated in the manual.

If you don't have any databases craeated in the instance, and you would like to have the sample database installed, login as instance owner and type db2sampl (it will take several minutes to run).

Then you can connect to sample database.

To see what databases you have, do this:
    db2 list db directory
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    You don't connect to an instance; you connect to a database, and the DBA will need to create one for you. Then you can create your schema and objects in that database, given sufficient privileges.

They are indicated in the manual.
    Thanks For the clarification n_i & Marcus_A it was helpful.

I apologize guys , you have been kind enough in answering my Question with lot of Patience .....i really appreciate

I need to create a new database in that instance and i will try to see what are the required privileges that instance user needs to have for creating the Database, So while creating the database the database_user that we declare need to already existing on the server Os right ? or it will be created while creating the DB !

Thanks in advance !

Error in decs while connecting to remote iseries

Hi Andy

I am new in this forum. I saw your replies to similar node errror. Can you please assist. I am facing a similar problem

We have Lotus Notes connection using DECS TO ISERIES DB2 SERVER
    ONE ISERIES SERVER IS IN OUR NETWORK AND CONNECTION USING DECS ADMINSISTRATOR TO THAT ISERIES DB2 SERVER IS FINE

THE OTHER ISERIES AS400 SERVER IS IN REMOTE LOCATION
    FROM LOTUS DOMINO DB2 CLIENT ADMINISTRATOR, I HAVE CREATED A CONNECTOR PUTTING DATABASE NAME AND PORT 446 AND TESTED CONNECTION, CONNECTION IS SUCCESS

NOW USING LOTUS DECS ADMINSTRATOR TO CONNECT TO REMOTE ISERIES
    I PUT THE REMOTE DATABASE NAME
    USER NAME IN ISERIES
    PASSWORD

AFTER THAT, WHEN I PUT THE TABLE NAME (ALL INPUTS ARE VALID AND VERIFIED ), GET THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESG

ERROR IBM CLI DRIVER SQL 1097N
    NODE NAME NOT FOUND IN NODE DIRECTORY
    SQLSTATE 42720 CONNECTOR DB2
    METHOD CONNECT (-1097)

THIS IS MESG I AM GETTING SO NOT ABLE TO CREATE CONNECTION USING DECS TO REMOTE ISERIES SERVER

PL ASSIST, APPRECIATE YR HELP

Thanks

Menon
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    Yes, servername can be an IP address. And you can use whatever lights your fire for the node name.

Andy

Provided Answers: 5
    First, you should start a new thread, as you will get better advice. Second, ISeries is a different beast than DB2 for LUW. I have no experience with ISeries and I cannot help you. You may need DB2Connect, but like I said, I have no experience with that.

Andy