Thread: Ctrl+F

Unanswered: Ctrl+F

Why when I try to use Ctrl+F shortcut for Find, do I end up with 20odd rows highlighted? If I use Edit, Find I get the Find dialogue box? It doesn't happen all the time. (Sorry to ask really a dumb question but I can't for the life of me figure out why)

Sounds like you have some code somewhere which has overridden the CTRL+F shortcut?

I use Mac and when I hit command F Excel brings up a window that helps you find things on the spreadsheet. I assume that a PC is supposed to have the same function. Is that the function that comes hp when you ht Ctrl+F?

kim, it often happens that macro shortcut keys override Excel's built-in shortcut keys or at least mess with them. So this maybe the root of your problem. Do you have this with any file? You may want to open the concerning file and click on tools on the menubar, then Macro, then Macros. Click on the first one on the list, then options. If it doesn't have f as the shortcut key, cancel and try the next one in the list until you find one with f as the shortcut key. Then delete the f from the box or replace it with another key. Hope this helps.

Sounds like there is on old Macro on there to me too.

I agree -

Its gotta be a macro. Or something. I once had a problem similar to this (not on my computer) where if you started typing in numbers, it would start randomly doing calculations. Really bizare.

Luckily, the Tech people came down to fix it. They burned the computer, and purified the area with holy wa...

OKAY - maybe not that dramatic. They just uninstalled and reinstalled Excel.

I've been having this problem with Excel too! I'm going to go and reinstall it - thanks!

Yip same thing happened to me. I also had to re-install. It would be good if anyone could advise if they've found away to sort this out without re-installing,

I was really hoping not to have to re-install, but it sounds like I shall have to as well; I've had the same problem and I was hoping for a different solution...oh well...

Oh man...you're telling me this is the only way to fix this? I didn't want to have to re-install, but unless someone else has a better solution, I guess I have to go there.