Unanswered: How to add an article to existing publisher?

Hi,

We have transactional replication set up on our MSSQL 2000 servers. I am trying to add a new article to the publisher, but it does not seem to work correctly.

Using the GUI interface, I added a new article. I then ran the Snapshot agent, which seems to have not done anything.

I checked the publisher and see that i have 3 replication stored procedures created there. However, I do not have them in the subscriber.

I do not want to reinitialize everything.

What can I do in this case to simply add an article to an existing publisher?

Thank you!

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL 2000 can easily add new Articles to an existing Publisher, but it has trouble adding an article to an existing Publication. Just create a new Publication and add the new Articles to the new Publication. When you create the new Publication, the Snapshot Agent ought to run automagically, but if it does not then you can run it manually. When you add Subscribers to the new Publication, the Distribution Agents should run automagically too, but I wouldn't start these manually unless you both need to do so and understand Microsoft SQL 2000 Replication well... The Distribution Agents are not for the faint of heart!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat - thanks for the suggestion. I am wondering though if there is a solution for adding to the same publication. It seems odd if every time I want to add a new article, i'd be creating a new publication. Is that how MSSQL server designers planned it to behave? Or is there an easy way to do this still?

Thank you!

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, this is relatively easy to do if you upgrade to SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2. Using Transaction Replication as it was implemented a decade ago for SQL 2000, what I previously described is pretty much the only choice I have ever found.

I designed and implemented one of the largest Transactional Replication systems that Microsoft was aware of using SQL 2000. It ran a large business (thousands of employees and billions of dollars in revenue) and did a very nice job. There were some warts on the product, but as long as you kept within the design parameters it was rock-solid reliable.

The SQL 2008 R2 Transactional Replication product is much richer in features than the SQL 2000 product was, and seems to be every bit as reliable.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.