Thread: Totals

Unanswered: Totals

Good Day Everyone,

Am hoping someone can help me with some totals.

I have a report that is grouped by Department, Month and then Job Code.

The Job Code sums up correclty and the totals for Department and Month work.

Is there someway to get the Totals for Department to total by the Job Code?

The total I have is fine but I know someone is going to want it totaled by Job Code within each department, but am not able to figure out HOW to make it total that way at that group level.

The only way that I can think of is to do the totaling in a separate query and then join the two queries together on the Department and the Job Code. I have done that before to be able to put the total in the header instead of the footer. But I can't think of a way to display the data to the user without it being confusing. How would you show the Department/Month total and the Department/Job Code total?

I would consider a second report if that was a possibility.

I've done that before myself but for different reasons. I guess it could be done using a Sub Report or I could try to do it the way I did it in my other reports, but not sure it would work that way.

I've attached an example of the report with the numbers turned off.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CHI Brian; 08-03-10 at 10:22. Reason: need attachement

Provided Answers: 1
    The example you posted looks like it's already totaling by job code... Are you saying you want to see percentages of say, Surg 1 North RN as a percentage of ALL RN hours?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

No. I want the totals for Department and the Total of All to show by Job Code, not just a Grand Total.

Provided Answers: 1
    So you want total of all by job code in the report footer? I'd keep a few local variables around and increment them in the detail section's print event, then reference them in the report footer.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    So you want total of all by job code in the report footer? I'd keep a few local variables around and increment them in the detail section's print event, then reference them in the report footer.
    Yes, I'd like the Footer Total to be by Job Code as well as the Department Total.

I tried the Sub Report, didnt seem to work well. At least from what it did, but then again, I could be doing it wrong.

Also, what do you mean by Variables around and increment them? I am not a programer. I am only as good as the Wizards and Design View allow me to be. I don't know SQL or VB to write fancy things.