Question Unanswered: A book on DB2 SQL ?

I'm a new DB2 SQL users and am frustrated beyond belief. Yes, I know that 90% of SQL is standard but that 10% will kill you, right? I've purchased a couple books that purport to be DB2 SQL references but none of them are what I need. I need a DB2 SQL Users Guide -- something that is a reference for SQL queries only.

I don't need DBA stuff. I need to know things like how to constrain a date in WHERE criteria... in Informix it's simply "where date between '01/01/2010' and '06/30/2010'" but apparently DB2 isn't that simple. Recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

Red face Crying with you

Quote Originally Posted by d507201 View Post
    I'm a new DB2 SQL users and am frustrated beyond belief. Yes, I know that 90% of SQL is standard but that 10% will kill you, right? I've purchased a couple books that purport to be DB2 SQL references but none of them are what I need. I need a DB2 SQL Users Guide -- something that is a reference for SQL queries only.

I don't need DBA stuff. I need to know things like how to constrain a date in WHERE criteria... in Informix it's simply "where date between '01/01/2010' and '06/30/2010'" but apparently DB2 isn't that simple. Recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John
    Don't cry, John, don't cry.
    In DB2 date operations are very simple:
    Code:
    where date_clmn between '2010-01-01' and '2010-06-30'
    Lenny

Provided Answers: 1
    I need a DB2 SQL Users Guide -- something that is a reference for SQL queries only.
    Did you try DB2 SQL Reference Manual, freely available for download on the IBM web site?

You can also check DB2 SQL Cookbook

in Informix it's simply "where date between '01/01/2010' and '06/30/2010'" but apparently DB2 isn't that simple.
    It is that simple, actually:
    Code:
    select count(1) from syscat.tables where lastused between '01/01/2010' and '06/30/2010'

-----------

1 record(s) selected.

The DB2 SQL Cookbook

The IBM Reference Manual is too clumsy... It's not a user's guide and I can't quickly find things.

The first half of the Cookbook is exactly what I need. You give this away for free? Amazing. Thanks!

John

I found SQL for DB2 by James Cooper to be a great guide.
    You want to learn and understand the best information about this type of database? This book is still my DB2 "Bible" so to speak.

DB2 books

Our work has the O'Reilly SQL cookbook, and I have to say that it is generally good, but occasionally our DB2 server rejects the code as invalid. It might be painful, but there is no real substitute for intelligent use of google/forums/getting your hands dirty. The edition of SQL cookbook references 'the recursive WITH' but it doesn't explain the issue half as well as an article I ran into after scratching my head: Port CONNECT BY to DB2

Even so, I would love a better DB2 reference.