Lightbulb Unanswered: New to SQL Server

Hello everyone,

I JUST finished downloading and installing and configuring SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and I am positively giddy. Then I realized I have nothing to do because I'm not taking a SQL Server class at the moment, and I don't have any work projects that really require this... But I'm so happy to have this now as my DBMS over (puke) MS Access.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I know it's a pretty broad question, but I'm open to any suggestions as to ideas for projects I can do in my spare time here. I'm drawing a blank.

THERE IS JUST SO MUCH...so much awesome stuff I can DO here... I have Visual Studio 2008... SQL Server... A huge book on C#, ASP.NET... Java... Ajax... I'm a computer science major and just almost finishing my AAS degree and there's so much I want to learn to do and I have no idea where to staaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

Forgive me if I sound incredibly rambly or nerdy but... i'm overwhelmed with what all i can do with these tools. I need something to sink my teeth into. Someone make up an assignment or something. Please believe that I really do get so excited about technology and learning how to use it that I can't hardly see straight.

Thanks everyone! And if nothing else, wish me luck.

Last edited by atsukoarai86; 08-04-10 at 01:37.
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

The best things in life...are well-documented.

Provided Answers: 10
    Pick a topic you are interested in e.g. cars, hockey, surfing, music, etc and try model a system that captures data around your subject of choice.
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 4
    There are lots of open source projects that will be very happy to have you aboard. You can read other people's code, improve on them, add features, debug, ...

You will learn a lot in a short time and not only about programming, but also about all the other stuff around it: deploying, selecting what features to add and when, dealing with other people, ...

A good site to start is sourceforge.org.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 54
    Be sure that you have clean pants handy when you check out the new MERGE statement.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Be sure that you have clean pants handy when you check out the new MERGE statement.

-PatP
    clean pants eh? <_<

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wim View Post
    There are lots of open source projects that will be very happy to have you aboard. You can read other people's code, improve on them, add features, debug, ...

You will learn a lot in a short time and not only about programming, but also about all the other stuff around it: deploying, selecting what features to add and when, dealing with other people, ...

A good site to start is sourceforge.org.

Hmmm... open source... To be honest I have never considered doing open source work before...lol probably because I'm all wrapped up in the warm cozy blanket of Microsoft's wonderful yet proprietary tools...heh, and I probably don't know enough yet to like open source better. All the same I'll be sure to go check that out.

I just <3 learning so much...these are very exciting times.

I am happy to hear about your excitement surrounding SQL Server, but try and restrain your arrogance concering your promotion beyond "(puke) MS Access."

I make my living in MS Access (amongst other things) and I have found that the people who talk down about Access are some of the poorest programmers I know. I have found that most of them, unless they are working in a high-dollar, gold-plated environment, can't do squat. There is very, very little that I can't do with Access, even to the same level of security and functionality, as any other environment. Yeah, it has its limitations (especially with respect to the Web), but for 99.99% of all non-Web business applications, it's perfectly functional.

I work in SQL Server, Oracle, .NET, JavaScript and various other environments and I work very closely with corporate programmers who clearly look-down on Access and I see how little they seem to be able to do without spending lots and lots of money. I may not impress many people telling them I program in Access, but I can tell you that I get things done in Access that most of those gold-plated programmers couldn't do in a million years.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalProgram View Post
    I am happy to hear about your excitement surrounding SQL Server, but try and restrain your arrogance concering your promotion beyond "(puke) MS Access."

I make my living in MS Access (amongst other things) and I have found that the people who talk down about Access are some of the poorest programmers I know. I have found that most of them, unless they are working in a high-dollar, gold-plated environment, can't do squat. There is very, very little that I can't do with Access, even to the same level of security and functionality, as any other environment. Yeah, it has its limitations (especially with respect to the Web), but for 99.99% of all non-Web business applications, it's perfectly functional.

I work in SQL Server, Oracle, .NET, JavaScript and various other environments and I work very closely with corporate programmers who clearly look-down on Access and I see how little they seem to be able to do without spending lots and lots of money. I may not impress many people telling them I program in Access, but I can tell you that I get things done in Access that most of those gold-plated programmers couldn't do in a million years.
    *hands you a tissue* didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post

-PatP
    l <3 MERGE.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Lightbulb A brilliant idea

I was demonstrating the java swing app I just wrote for my Java teacher to show her how to manipulate a database (an ACCESS DATABASE fyi and lol... ) and i was spewing upon her my giddiness about SQL Server (which makes her cringe because she h8s database stuff), and she laid upon me a brilliant idea.

"Go talk to Steve, he's our C#/SQL Server teacher. I bet he could find you something to do!"

ohhhhhh boy.

Provided Answers: 54
    I take it that your conversation with Steve became a lesson in "be careful what you ask for, you might get it" ??? If so, congratulations!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I think you'll find the documentation and tutorials out there plentiful. Have fun!

sourceforge.org
    This would be a great place to start something you would be interested in.If you have lots of time on your hands you can really learn a lot and have great enjoyment.Its what i found at this site anyway.good luck!