Unanswered: Pass the control that triggered an event to a function?

Hey all,

I was wondering if it was possible to pass the control itself as a function parameter to the function that one of it's event procedures is set to.

Example: (this is what I had imagined)

set the OnClick event property of a command button named "btnTest" on a form to "=testFunction([Control])"

where the testFunction function is defined as:

Public Function testFunction(ctl as Control)

MsgBox ctl.Name

End Function

Therefore, clicking on the command button would give the user a message box containing the message "btnTest"

I know that this is possible with the FORM that the control is on. For example, if I have a form called "frmTest" with a command button called "btnTest" whose its OnClick event property set to "=testFunction([Form])" and the function testFunction is defined as

Public Function testFunction(frm as Form)

MsgBox frm.Name

End Function

In this case, the user will receive a message box containing the message "frmTest"...And it works!

How can I make this work for the control ITSELF? I don't want to have to type in the control's name every time I repetitively use this function, I just want the function to know which control called it.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by cypage View Post
    Hey all,

I was wondering if it was possible to pass the control itself as a function parameter to the function that one of it's event procedures is set to.

Example: (this is what I had imagined)

set the OnClick event property of a command button named "btnTest" on a form to "=testFunction([Control])"

where the testFunction function is defined as:

Public Function testFunction(ctl as Control)

MsgBox ctl.Name

End Function

Therefore, clicking on the command button would give the user a message box containing the message "btnTest"

I know that this is possible with the FORM that the control is on. For example, if I have a form called "frmTest" with a command button called "btnTest" whose its OnClick event property set to "=testFunction([Form])" and the function testFunction is defined as

Public Function testFunction(frm as Form)

MsgBox frm.Name

End Function

In this case, the user will receive a message box containing the message "frmTest"...And it works!

How can I make this work for the control ITSELF? I don't want to have to type in the control's name every time I repetitively use this function, I just want the function to know which control called it.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
    Try:

Code:
    =testFunction(Screen.ActiveControl)
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

I see you got the same answer HERE
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Thanks again,

I responded HERE

Because of a reminder that I have received from another user, I am updating this post to let everyone know that this is actually a cross-post. The post on the main forum is:

Pass the control that triggered an event to a function? - UtterAccess Discussion Forums

and the other side post is:

Pass the control that triggered an event to a function?

Thanks again in advance for any help