Unanswered: Perfmon Memory Performance with Multiple SQL Instances

Hi Guys

I'm trying to analyze whether we the Server is achieving optimal memory Performance with.

MS Server 2003 Enterprise R2 64Bit Edition (SP2)
    12GB Ram
    &
    MS SQL Server 2005 Standard 64Bit Edition SP3

There are SIX installed Instances of SQL

4 CPU's with Auto Set processor & I/O affinity mask for all

Split 21 GB OS Swap File

Pages are Locked (min & max are same) with different amounts given to each instance. Service account has permission to do this etc

I am Capturing Perfmon Data over 2 weeks and want to analyze if each instance has been allocated the correct amount. I'm not particularly interested in I/O Stats at the moment.

Naturaly I'll be looking at instance specific Page Life expectancy & Buffer Cache Hit Ratio % etc

But has anyone got any thoughts on any other useful memory counters and what to analyze to reach the best conclusion?

I have one week of graphs already and can post more Piccys on request

(Attached is one weeks Page Life Expectancy in milliseconds)

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PLE1.jpg  
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Provided Answers: 11
    Another thing you can look at are the Total Server Memory, and Target Server Memory counters. These may not be significant, though, as Min Server Memory, and Max Server Memory configuration parameters are set to the same thing, though.

The one counter I see there has a minimum Page Life Expectancy of 2000. Normally the counter is measured in seconds, so if this is milliseconds, then there is a problem. The usual target value for this is 300 seconds or more.

One last place to look, although it is not definitive. The Disk counters should be able to show you evidence of "buffer churn", if they are high. This could also be indicate backups, or other large file moves, so you will have to temper judgment on those counters. Especially if you show these to non-technical people.

GW,
    It looks like you have most of the correct memory counters. As far as analysis and knowing the correct range of values for each counter I like to use the PAL tool (Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool), which outputs a nice report which shows graphs, min\max values, and definitions for each counter.

I hope this helps