Thread: Find A Database

Unanswered: Find A Database

I'm new to databases but I see the need for them. I would like to get your opinions on database for the beginner. Since I'm new to this, I would need an user manual that is easy to understand (example, tutorials,...). What kind of database would you recommend for newbies like me?

Provided Answers: 59
    theres numerous types of databases that will run on a PC
    ranging from flat file through the likes of Btrive, Access Filemakers upto server prodcuts such as MySQL, SQL Server and so on.

theres two aspects tot he db world..
    theres the pure db part (which is the storage and manipulation of data)
    theres the from end the bit that allows you to talk to the database storage engine

if you are starting out in the db worlkd then semhtign Like Access may be a good solution. why beacuase its freely available. it realtively sheep and its pretty capable. despite what the nay sayers claim it can do most of whats required for small applications. I wouldnt' want to use it for 'mission critical' applications unless it was very carefully crafted.

if you just was a db then somethign like MySQL could fit the bill. its a pretty well featured server db

as to good books theres 'Simply SQL' from R937 of this parish.

theres hosts of basic books on SQL and whatever db you eventually decide to use. I'd check your local college to see if they have night classes on this sort of stuff and see what they use (you may be able to get an academic version of the software if you enroll.

there some good primers on database theory, particularly relational design, again r937 is a fount of knowledge. Oops -- r937.com.
    theres also a good piece by tony marsden
    http://www.r937.com/list.cfm?page=sql-articles
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

A database for a beginner, something easy to use.

I've been programming in database programs for about 20 years. For the past 10 or so I've been using Alpha Software to do my in-house programming. I wrote our inhouse management system and have written numerous commercial products I've sold with Alpha Five (Database Software, Database Programs, Database Manager, Rapid Web Application Development Database Solutions Online Web interface Design Desktop Applications).

They have an outstanding forum! Lot's of people giving a lot of help! Great group of people. They are now even offering video training courses. They have a lot of training tools.

Anyway, something to consider.

Bradley

I am also new to db's and have limited experience using Access. I was kind of thrown into it when a former employee left the company. Unfortunately our IT department doesn't manage or centralize Access db's. Usually an analyst develops a database, leaves the company and then the rest of us are stuck trying to figure out the logic behind their tables and queries.

Provided Answers: 1
    As others above have suggested there are a number of issues to take into consideration when considering the development of a "database" application - whether just learning or not.

Some of the issues are (in no particular order).
    * If this application will be for a company, then there is an issue of maintainability to consider. If you develop in a language which is obscure (relative to other market products) and there are only a few other developers in that language then the application can prove difficult to maintain should you be 'hit by a truck'.

* Are there expenses attached to the use of the database? Some databases have purchase prices and sometimes even licensing fees associated with them.

* What tools are available to use for developing user front ends. Databases such as MS SQL Server and others do not always have their own 'front end' development tools.
    Yes, there are a whole host of other 'front end' development languages (VB, Access, Visual Foxpro, and others) which can 'talk' to the SQL Server backend. But that might be an additional expense (or not). Its just something to consider.

* What about expandability? Will an application that you develop in language 'AAA' be able to 'grow' with enhancements, etc. to meet future needs or will it find itself dead-ended or obsoleted due to limitations? Again a question mostly concerned with applications developed for a business.

* If this is solely a personal learning endeavor, will the database tool(s) you choose support your learning a marketable set of skills or will it teach you a language which has minimal applicability and/or utilization in the marketplace?

In general a number of the mainstream Databases (MS SQL SERVER, INFORMIX, ORACLE, MYSQL, POSTGRESQL, etc.) aren't DRAMATICALLY different from each other in the generalities of what they can do and how you do it. Yes there are indeed differences, but in general they all can be accessed with ODBC, the data can be manipulated with SQL commands, etc.

The BIG differences you will encounter will be in the various Front End Development tools (many times not an integral part of the Database) - their language syntax and their capabilities at handling data manipulations.

From a strict marketability perspective I'd recommend using MS SQL Server Express as a database backend (its Free) and one of the .NET tools (VB.NET or C#.NET) as a Front End development tool. This combination would not be the easiest to learn, but it would result in your learning very marketable skills. And if you were to develop an application, that application would have possible support from a wide variety of developers.

There are a number of other database development tools which are available and some have been mentioned above. They are OK for 'getting started' and the learning might be applicable for a number of years, but when you move up to the 'big time' you will have to re-educate yourself in one of the more 'mainstream' languages - some of them are VERY different from each other.

Good Luck