Unanswered: make database exe file

Is there a way to make Access 2003 database into an executable file? I am working with Access 2003 and my supervisor is thinking we did this with a database about 5 years ago. The end user then didn't need to have Access installed, they just had to run the file.

It was a while ago that I did this, so I don't really remember, but I thought I would have to use Visual basic and connect to the database that way.

Thanks, I'll check these out this week.

Provided Answers: 19
    If you truly want an EXE file you will have to use Visual Basic, C++ or such, to develop a front end, then use Access as the back end to hold your data.

Each version of Access has a Run-Time version which can be distributed to end users that don't have a full version of Access on their machines. The exact name of the developers extensions, kit, etc, that holds the Run-Time version varies from Access version to version, as does the additional cost of same.

The links Pujo gave you apply to Access 2007 and are also valid, I assume, for Access 2010, but not to 2003, which you state you are running. You'd have to upgrade, on your development machine, from 2003 to 2007 or 2010, in order to utilize the free Run-Time that can be downloaded for users of these versions. You'll have to learn 2007/2010, which is significantly different than previous versions, and also convert your 2003 app, I believe.
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 08-08-10 at 22:30.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes, I noticed that when I checked the links. I thought that was the case. My supervisor seems to believe we had an executable back a few years ago that used an Access database. I thought it was something I developed using Visual Basic and not just Access, and it probably was.

We now use Access 2007, but I didn't think we could do an exe with that version, so we were thinking of going back to Access 2003 because somebody thought we used to do exe files with that.

Provided Answers: 14

As Sinndho's link shows, it cannot be done. Your memory serves you correctly, I expect! A true EXE file will have to be done in another language, such as Visual Basic or C++.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    As Sinndho's link shows, it cannot be done. Your memory serves you correctly, I expect! A true EXE file will have to be done in another language, such as Visual Basic or C++.
    and even then the database part would still be an Access runtime file.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

True!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!