Unanswered: When will the key/value madness end?

Our organization just dropped $60000 on a new 'Enterprise Grade' content management system, and as I was poking around its (many) databases, I found this:

Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Properties]
    (
    	[ID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,
    	[Key] [nvarchar](256) NOT NULL,
    	[Value] [ntext] NOT NULL
    )
    This is 'Enterprise Grade'? And I subsequently discovered two more key/value tables in the same database, not to mention the six other required databases. When I asked their tech guy about indexes or constraints, he told me to add more memory if the site ran slowly.

By the way, this is a government organization. Bend over taxpayers!

i love the NTEXT dataype for the value -- that's called "being prepared for any eventuality on a go forward basis"

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

What's with the 256 length too? Did they upgrade this from Access?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdler View Post
    By the way, this is a government organization. Bend over taxpayers!
    Living in DC all my life and writing software for a little while, I am totally underwhelmed by this revelation.

I will never work for Big Brother, but some times I entertain the phone calls from their recruiters and contractors and I get to ask questions. It is disturbing some times.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Re: When will the key/value madness end?

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump View Post
    What's with the 256 length too? Did they upgrade this from Access?
    Yeah, I noticed that. I think they really believed it was a brilliant scheme.

"I know we've got this key thing, but let's add a GUID, just for the hell of it."

Provided Answers: 5
    I'm dealing with same kinda thing here with a state govt app

Provided Answers: 6
    it's not alabama is it? i tried to talk them out of it, but the dev lead was from M$ consulting and I guess they valued his opinion a little more
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    it's not alabama is it? i tried to talk them out of it, but the dev lead was from M$ consulting and I guess they valued his opinion a little more
    No, Wisconsin, but I believe it's happening anywhere there's a bureaucracy. It's maddening to watch people waste so much taxpayer money, especially when our state is running a giant deficit.

Anyway, I'm just the DBA, and happy to be employed, so I just shake my head and run the SQL scripts I'm given.