Unanswered: DB Mirroring and LogShipping

Hello All,

I would like to know whether there are any drawbacks in having a particular server, say Server A (MS SQL 2005), act as mirroring principal and as the primary in logshipping.

Please let me know the best practices, known issues, performance issues if any

Thanks,
    Baburaj
    Cheers....

baburajv

Provided Answers: 11
    There should not be many problems using both technologies on the same server. One (mirroring) works as the transaction record is persisted to the log, and the other works on a scheduled basis (default every 15 minutes, I think). There should not be a conflict even if both technologies are used on the same database. It creates a considerable amount of complexity in the environment, though, and I would question why not go with all of one or the other.

Hi,

Thank you for the info.

If the principal and Mirror servers are in the same premises, the data will be lost in case of a disaster. I think, with a combination of combination of Mirroring and Logshipping (log shipping secondary in a different location), High Availability (via mirroring) and a disaster recovery plan (via logshipping) can be achieved. Please let me know if my understanding/ assumptions are wrong.

Thanks,
    Baburaj
    Cheers....

baburajv

I would not put mirroring as a high availability option, because applications that connect to the database(s) would likely not be prepared for a failover of the database. If everything is going to be in the same datacenter, you would be better off using failover clustering for High Availability.

I am testing my own knowledge a touch here but:
    Mirroring is an HA solution if the applications are programmed to switch to the mirror in the event of a failure of the primary. Also, IIRC mirroring needs to be set up for the mirror to automatically act as the primary in the event of failure.
    Correct?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

It's a big "if". All of the applications need to be .NET, and have the backup server defined. This excludes Java, classic ASP, and even shoddily constructed SSIS packages.

Mirroring can be set up for either automatic or manual failover. The automatic failover requires a witness server to testify who is the primary.

Thank you for the information.
    Cheers....

baburajv

Setting up mirroring with logshipping is a common configuration. Mirroring ensures HA (contrary to failover clustering which may take a considerable amount of time to fail over, mirroring takes very little time, especially if setup as synchronous), while logshipping takes care of DR requirements.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."