Unanswered: A strange request

What I want to do is print out all the databases in mysql to a csv or excel file so that I can learn what's in them.

Why do I want that, and what makes this complicated? I'm keeping a wordpress blog at work, and I want to create a custom page that acts like a homepage for posts of a certain category page. (Yes, I know you can create a page with wordpress that shows all the posts under a given category, but I want something that shows the most recent post and looks like a decent user-oriented page.) Ergo, I want to learn how the wordpress sql database is set up so that I can extract the posts I need dynamically for the pseudo-home page in question.

I wasn't the one who set up the blog, and my boss is an awful bottleneck, so I'll never get the info I need from IT. Yes, it would make more sense to interact with the mysql database in some way other than writing a php script and running it, but I don't know how to access the database in any other way. I tried using an sql utility for creating a spreadsheet from the database, but I was unable to connect. (I don't know why I couldn't connect, but being outside of IT, I'm hardly surprised.)

Has anybody out there used a script that I can upload to the server, then run, to get a .csv or .xlsx?

I doubt it makes any difference to anyone, but in case you were wondering what the purpose of this secondary home page is: I draw the webcomic Palsied Octogenarian Surgeon and host it on my work blog.

It's now on page 2 of Google's search results for "webcomics," so I think it's high time it had a decent home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaselinessa View Post
    ... so that I can learn what's in them.
    why not just browse the data in the tables?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaselinessa View Post
    Yes, it would make more sense to interact with the mysql database in some way other than writing a php script and running it, but I don't know how to access the database in any other way.
    try HeidiSQL
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL