Unanswered: Paradox 9 Report Issue

I have been given a Paradox 9 application that was probably built in Paradox 4, migrated to Paradox 5 and then to Paradox 9. It actually still runs quite well and is used daily. The problem is that all users have the full version of Paradox installed which allows them to meddle with tables, queries, etc. management has finally seen the wisdom of not allowing that and limiting them to just the application and the things it allows to be updated.
    1. All reports work in Paradox 9 full version.
    2. I do not have a Paradox 9 runtime tu use but I found one on the net that is patched with Sp3. Most reports still work fine and this would be perfect except there is a report that runs as the user is viewing a record and prints the contents of that record (and several other related records) when a button is pushed. That works fine in the full version but in the run time version I have it fails. I downloaded Sp3 and patched the full version and now that fails - indicating that Sp3 is the problem. Life would be simple if I could find an unpatched runtime but that doesn't seem to be possible.

I bought a Paradox 11 from Corel which came with the run time. The report just described works fine but most of the other reports associated with this application just hang and lock up Paradox 11 completely. The rest of the application works fine as far as I can tell. Maddening!!!

Doing some research I see references to "recompiling reports" but I don't see any way to do that. I'm wondering if in either Paradox 9 or Paradox 11 if I could recompile the reports if that would make them functional. In many cases they are complex reports and I'm hoping not to have to become a master of ten year old technoloy and spend the summer recreating reports. Any suggestions from veterans?

Thanks

I'm hoping not to have to become a master of ten year old technoloy

first and foremost.. this is 10-year-old *dead* technology, with no internal support or meaningful corel support.. if your company isn't well into a crash-course replacement strategy, they're gonna be screwed, sooner or later.. most likely sooner.. there is very little support out there for this platform.. run, don't walk, to a replacement.. and, yes, it's gonna cost you..

I found one on the net that is patched with Sp3

technically, using that modified version of an old CA government app is foolish, and not legal..

now, to the real issues:

p9 runtime is only available as part of the developer's edition of p9

if the issue is sp3, you don't have enough info for me to guess as to the cause, the source, or the solution..

with any version of paradox, you open all the code and/or the reports, one by one, in the full version and re-save to re-compile..

if you need more help, go to Home - Paradox Community, where most of the remaining long-time paradox developers hang out..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Yes but...

Granted - Paradox is a dead platform but if a group of users have been running the same Paradox app for 15+ years and Paradox continues to run even on Windows 7 and there isn't an army of programmers or a lot of cash available wouldn't it make sense to secure it and keep going for the time being? My real goal was to leave the application untouched, replace the full version of Paradox 9 with a runtime so that users wouldn't be tempted to go in an meddle, create new tables, add new applications, etc. Unfortunately, All of I have is the full version of Paradox 9 and not the run time. I bought the full version of Paradox 11 (which included a run time) from Corel and that is when I encountered the printing problems. What I hoped to do was roll out the runtime to everyone (the application itself runs fine in Paradox 11 and Windows 7) and stabilize it until such time as it could be replaced. If I could resolve the printing issues (report runs, print dialog comes up and the window goes blank and Paradox freezes with no message) that is exactly what I would do. I opened a report in design mode in Paradox, changed one of the text boxes slightly and then saved it - is that enough to cause it to "recompile". I was hoping that if that were the case I would get some sort of error message that would tell me what needs to be fixed in the report.

wouldn't it make sense to secure it and keep going for the time being?

I'm not trying to be rude, but.. you're asking simple questions about how to find the runtime program and how to recompile.. you're evidently all they've got.. what happens when a *real* problem occurs?

(report runs, print dialog comes up and the window goes blank and Paradox freezes with no message)

ok, now you're starting to supply some real info.. I asked you to follow-up where the rest of the developers are, because they'll have more questions for you, but I can offer two minor suggestions.. the problems you describe can sometimes be the result of non-existant network printers and/or problematic path names..

I opened a report in design mode in Paradox, changed one of the text boxes slightly and then saved it - is that enough to cause it to "recompile".

you didn't even have to change anything.. just open and save in the current version..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

I was hoping that if that were the case I would get some sort of error message that would tell me what needs to be fixed in the report.

you're assuming the probem is in the code syntax, which is pretty specific.. you don't even know yet if the problem is internal or external..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

More details

Yes, sadly I'm all they've got!
    So to clarify - we have 14 reports that are important (to users)
    The application and the reports all run fine in Paradox 9 (unpatched) on every platform.
    The reports do not all work if SP3 is applied to Paradox 9
    The application runs fine in Paradox 11 but most of the reports do not - they produce "unexpected general protection violation" errors and a couple of them even halt paradox completely. Interestingly - before the GPV error happens you can see the report on the screen - it looks fine but then it blanks out as the error occurs (almost instantaneously).
    Opening the report in edit mode and then saving it in Paradox 11 does not alter the outcome.
    The obvious decision would be to just leave it in Paradox 9 and let them continue to run it as they have for years but the concern is that the urge to go in and write queries, fiddle with tables directly, etc. will invoke the very Armageddon that you predicted.
    So, any other thoughts on how to debug these reports? I notice that they are all .rsl and I believe there is a newer format. Opening and saving them seems to retain the .rsl format though so that is why I was looking for something that would read the code and possibly update/convert the reports.
    Incidentally the Paradox I'm using is 11.0.0.676 which appears to be more current than the service pack that is available for 11.

Yes, sadly I'm all they've got!

and on dbforums, for paradox support, I'm all you've got.. that's why I asked you to move this to where the support is.. I do one more pass of light response, then leave you to move this to Home - Paradox Community

but the concern is that the urge to go in and write queries, fiddle with tables directly, etc. will invoke the very Armageddon that you predicted.

that is only one of the many ways it can happen, but yes, that's a huge black hole..

I notice that they are all .rsl and I believe there is a newer format.

no, the formats have alwyas been the same.. reports and delivered reports.. but they must be re-compiled in every forward version..

Incidentally the Paradox I'm using is 11.0.0.676 which appears to be more current than the service pack that is available for 11.

correct.. it's brand new, there have been some reported issues already, and there's a "hot fix" for it..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

i agree with Steve Green, been scanning some posts at db community and they are very good.