Unanswered: Update query (first time for everyone)....

Not quite sure what illegal symbol I'm using. I'm pretty sure this query should work to replace the bad applctn_txt with the correct one.

Code:
    ---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------
    UPDATE                                                                         
      SET PA.APPLCTN_TXT = JX.FULL_SYS_NM_TXT                                      
    FROM TOTDB01.PROD_ABEND PA                                                     
      INNER JOIN TOTDB01.JOB_XREF JX                                               
      ON SUBSTR(PA.JOB_TXT,1,2) = JX.PFX_TXT                                       
    WHERE PA.APPLCTN_TXT='ABLANK' AND PA.PROD_ABEND_ID >= 202130;                  
    DSNT408I SQLCODE = -104, ERROR:  ILLEGAL SYMBOL ".". SOME SYMBOLS THAT MIGHT   
             BE LEGAL ARE: INCLUDE <END-OF-STATEMENT> QUERYNO WHERE SKIP WITH SET  
    DSNT418I SQLSTATE   = 42601 SQLSTATE RETURN CODE                               
    DSNT415I SQLERRP    = DSNHPARS SQL PROCEDURE DETECTING ERROR                   
    DSNT416I SQLERRD    = 3 0  0  -1  81  502 SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION           
    DSNT416I SQLERRD    = X'00000003'  X'00000000'  X'00000000'  X'FFFFFFFF'       
             X'00000051'  X'000001F6' SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION                   
    DSNE618I ROLLBACK PERFORMED, SQLCODE IS 0                                      
    DSNE616I STATEMENT EXECUTION WAS SUCCESSFUL, SQLCODE IS 0

You need the table name right after the UPDATE.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Uhh

Code:
    UPDATE TOTDB01.PROD_ABEND PA                                                   
      SET PA.APPLCTN_TXT = JX.FULL_SYS_NM_TXT                                      
    FROM TOTDB01.PROD_ABEND PA                                                     
    DSNT408I SQLCODE = -199, ERROR:  ILLEGAL USE OF KEYWORD FROM.  TOKEN ( .       
             MICROSECONDS MICROSECOND SECONDS SECOND MINUTES MINUTE WAS EXPECTED   
    DSNT418I SQLSTATE   = 42601 SQLSTATE RETURN CODE                               
    DSNT415I SQLERRP    = DSNHPARS SQL PROCEDURE DETECTING ERROR                   
    DSNT416I SQLERRD    = 2 0  0  -1  145  506 SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION          
    DSNT416I SQLERRD    = X'00000002'  X'00000000'  X'00000000'  X'FFFFFFFF'       
             X'00000091'  X'000001FA' SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION                   
    DSNE618I ROLLBACK PERFORMED, SQLCODE IS 0                                      
    DSNE616I STATEMENT EXECUTION WAS SUCCESSFUL, SQLCODE IS 0                      

I assume it is something like this:

SET PA.APPLCTN_TXT =
    (Select X.FULL_SYS_NM_TXT From .....)
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Usually, WHERE clause is required to update only rows matching with JX, like this:

SET PA.APPLCTN_TXT =
    WHERE EXISTS

or use MERGE statement to avoid duplicated codes in SET clause and in WHERE clause.

This is what I came up with and it worked pretty well..

Code:
      SET PA.APPLCTN_TXT =                                
         (SELECT JX.FULL_SYS_NM_TXT                       
          FROM TOTDB01.PROD_ABEND PABD                    
          WHERE PA.PROD_ABEND_ID = PABD.PROD_ABEND_ID     
          )                                               

1) So, there is a row of JX which satisfy SUBSTR(PA.JOB_TXT,1,2) = JX.PFX_TXT for all rows of PA which satisfy PA.APPLCTN_TXT='ABLANK' AND PA.PROD_ABEND_ID >= 202130.

If there was no such matching row of JX for some rows of PA which satisfy PA.APPLCTN_TXT='ABLANK' AND PA.PROD_ABEND_ID >= 202130,
    PA.APPLCTN_TXT would be set to null for such rows.

If there were multiple matching rows of JX for a row of PA which satisfy PA.APPLCTN_TXT='ABLANK' AND PA.PROD_ABEND_ID >= 202130,
    you would get SQL0811N error.

2) I think that TOTDB01.PROD_ABEND PABD is not necessary.

I Made a slight adjustment to the query and it works great.

As you can see, the first I tell it to update TS and then match TS.TST_SUC_ID = TSUC.TST_SUC_ID to make sure I don't have any dups. Then each line inspect the first 2 characters of the JOB_TXT and change the OWNR_TXT to be the right FULL_SYS_NM_TXT.

I just updated 4 tables and 19,000,000 records in just under 17mins. Pretty quick too.

Code:
       UPDATE TOTDB01.TST_SUC TS                                   
         SET TS.OWNR_TXT =                                         
            (SELECT JX.FULL_SYS_NM_TXT                             
             FROM TOTDB01.TST_SUC TSUC                             
                ON SUBSTR(TSUC.JOB_TXT,1,2) = JX.PFX_TXT           
             WHERE TS.TST_SUC_ID = TSUC.TST_SUC_ID     
            );
    Last edited by goldfishhh; 08-14-10 at 08:27.