Unanswered: daily backup of MySQL database

What is the most convenient and dependable method for creating a daily backup of my membership site's MySQL database? Is there a script available that can be run as a cron job to accomplish this task? I have been doing this manually each evening and would like to automate the process. Any help would be appreciated. I did a search here and did not find a current post relating to this query.

Regards,

Mark

I do mine manually as well every night ever since my host service started charging me $15 per back up retrieval. If there is a automated process, PLEASE let me know as well! =)

I found this site yesterday and it looks like a winner

How to install AutoMySQLBackup | Databases | Lirent.net Hacks | News, Reviews, Resouces and Hacks!

I used the PSPad they recommended to edit the file before uploading to my server and had no problems. It was very simple to set up and is working fine for me. I am just backing up one MySQL database, but you can backup multiple DBs at the same time. It runs from a cron command, so you need to have a Linux server it would seem. I hope you find this useful.

Quote Originally Posted by surfingusa View Post
    I found this site yesterday and it looks like a winner

How to install AutoMySQLBackup | Databases | Lirent.net Hacks | News, Reviews, Resouces and Hacks!

I used the PSPad they recommended to edit the file before uploading to my server and had no problems. It was very simple to set up and is working fine for me. I am just backing up one MySQL database, but you can backup multiple DBs at the same time. It runs from a cron command, so you need to have a Linux server it would seem. I hope you find this useful.
    I have been looking for a good way to do this. Thanks

Hi Mark, can you please let me know whether you are using Windows or Linux server for your MySQL? In both cases we can schedule daily backup scripts which automatically backs up your DB and if required, can upload to another backup server.

In Linux, we may need to go for a simple cron job where as for Windows, we can create a small batch file and run that as a scheduled task.

Please let me know and I will see whether I can be of help in this matter.

i fixed my problem at here, thanks.

thanks

Thanks for the info I had the same problem

I do it manually too. But it seems automation is much time wise to use for other things to do.

I had a cron job that would take the db dump and email it to me every day... Then my db started getting bigger, and BIGGER and B I G G E R... What I'm planning to do is set up a cheap hosting acct and have the cron job upload the backup to that server via sftp each night. Has anyone tried that? Does it work ok?

You can also use -automysqlbackup- for this. Keeps all your db's safe with very little fuss.