Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: installing ss2005 standard

All,
    I installed sql server 2005 standard on win 7 pro 64bit. I had problems installing ss2005 standard 64bit so I uninstalled and installed ss2005 standard 32bit. Everything went fine expect I recieved a com plus warning error during installation:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup checks that COM+ is properly configured. If configuration errors are found, Setup will continue, but the following warning appears in the System Configuration Check (SCC) report:

"If SQL Server Setup fails, Setup will roll back the installation but may not remove all .manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and then rerun Setup."
    I looked it up and on the microsoft site it suggests to install the component services snap in. But when I do this, I get an error: you do not have permission to perform the requested action. if security is enabled on the system application of the target computer make sure you are included in the appropriate roles. I tried doing this again by logging into the command prompt as administrator and it still happens. I right click in the mmc on my computer and says that everyone is allowed for local and remote access. I can't find out how to gain permission to fix this. It implies if I leave it, SSIS would not work correctly and I am retraining myself with SqlServer including all of it's components. Please help. thanks

When you say "ss2005", do you mean SQL Server 2005 or SSIS? If it's the first, then the reason for failure of installing 32-bit is somewhat similar to the reason of you failing to install 64-bit. The errors may be different, because the libraries used are also different. Is it your machine, or you're installing it on a user workstation? Including "Everyone" does not ensure that you have necessary permissions to perform the installation. When you try to install CS snap-in, make sure you start the setup by right-mouse-clicking on the exe and selecting "Run as Administrator".
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thank you for responding. I am referring to sql server 2005. It is my own laptop. I access MMC by the command prompt. I access the command prompt by right clicking and Run as Administrator. Do I need to just access the MMC through another way and right click and Run as Administrator?? If so; please tell me how to access the MMC other than command prompt.
    Thanks

SSMS is not an MMC snap-in. The only MMC snap-in that SQL2K5+ is using is the Configuration Manager. After successful installation you should have it under "Microsoft SQL Server/Configuration Tools/SQL Server Configuration Manager". If the installation is "pre-SP2", then you need to manually run it as admin, but after SP2 it is correctly modified to do it itself.

So, I should access MMC snap in from the Configuration Manager?? I do have SP3 installed and it still says I have no permissions. I will try to access Configuration mgr by run as administrator first then access MMC snap in and make the changes.
    Thanks

Ok I tried and it still won't let me have permissions to change or add the com+ needed to run ssis in sql server Please help. I've searched the internet and it says I need to add the snap in com+ either through windows components add on or mmc snap in. Please help!! I am working on my personal computer and I don't have permissions or know how to give myself permissions to complete this process. It's crazy!

Since it's your personal machine, I'd retrack the attempt all the way to the beginning. Remove everything you installed so far, and make a decision on the version and edition of SQL Server. Do not mix bit editions by attempting to install 64-bit SQL and 32-bit SSIS. Clear up the situation with betas of other products. MS heavily relies on specific .NET frameworks for each beta and RTM, as well as COM support that might have become either corrupt or is incompatible. In short, try to bring your machine down to the preinstall state as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov View Post
    Since it's your personal machine, I'd retrack the attempt all the way to the beginning. Remove everything you installed so far, and make a decision on the version and edition of SQL Server. Do not mix bit editions by attempting to install 64-bit SQL and 32-bit SSIS. Clear up the situation with betas of other products. MS heavily relies on specific .NET frameworks for each beta and RTM, as well as COM support that might have become either corrupt or is incompatible. In short, try to bring your machine down to the preinstall state as much as possible.
    ok. I'll try this. I am going to uninstall sql server standard 32bit and try reinstalling to see if I get any warnings. I brought my laptop to work so I can do it now. Wish me luck. I'll post back.
    Thanks

Make sure to bounce the box after the last component is uninstalled.

Ok lol I am assuming you mean reboot??

Yus he does. FFS don't throw your server on to a trampoline.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Ok I started the install. I noticed the on the Sql Server component update; it did not have .Net Framework 2.0 among the necessary components to install. After it finished; it went on and it stills gives me the com+ warning What now please???

This means it found it, and it could be OK. But I think there has to be a correlation between COM+ trouble and the presence of the framework. Check control panel for .NET 2.0 framework, and yank it outathere. Bounce the box, check event logs for errors.

Ok check in control panel and did a search; no .net framework I checked the error logs and it logs all the times I tried to install the com+ telling me I do not have permission

are you sure you're installing the right bit edition?