Thread: encoding system

Unanswered: encoding system

hi everyone,

i created a program in access in which i have to encode lots of documents. but what really worrying me is security. (as we all know that microsoft has tons of viruses).

so, what i wanted to do now is to make the program more secured or make a backup on it from time to time.
    my solutions are :
    1. have a backup table in other PC unit (creating a backup every 10mins).
    2. have a backup text file in my PC. (every record created will be appended on a text file)

is this possible in access? i'm just an average user in access.
    any suggestions or comments is highly appreciated

tnx in advance.

Provided Answers: 14
    Everything you suggest is possible, however your solution won't prevent a virus (or anything else for that matter!) from tampering with your data.

As far as I can understand, the backup table would be located in a database on a pc that would also run a Microsoft O.S. (and we all know that microsoft has tons of viruses) and copying the data to a text file is even worse as far as the security is concerned: it is not protected and everybody can read it.

If security is such a concern, why don't you consider using a more robust database solution: SQL Server or possibly better (why not Oracle on a machine running a virus-proof proprietary variant of UNIX such as AIX, HP-UX or Solaris?).

I also suggest that you envisage to invest in a good and trustworthy anti-virus solution.
    Have a nice day!

thanks a lot for your response sinndho..

i don't know how to use oracle or even unix or linux or other OS.
    what i know is Windows and other Microsoft product (but the sad thing is it has lots of bugs and viruses)

i just thought that having a backup file will prevent me from worrying, it will be worsen if i copied it into a text file?

i'm not an expert, just an average user. but there is one thing in my mind if it's possible.
    can i make a backup copy of my access data in dos program(such as DBaseV)? or can i link those 2 program simultaneously?

i'm sure dos based program will be more secured than access.

enlighten me please..

again, thank you so much.

Provided Answers: 59
    so how many viruses or malware attacks do you have on your network?
    what steps do you take to deter or stop such attacks?

if there is a virus attack do you think its going to attack an Access application or JET data storage.
    what sort of encryption are you looking at? where do you believe the actual exposure is. form what you've said so far it sounds to me as if the exposure is in the storage of documents not the db itself.

having identified the threat then thats the time to go and look at how to counter those threats.

I'm not aware of any viruses inside JET or Access (yes there have been a few attempts by script kiddies on this forum to down load an Access app which does some malicious stuff), but its your app, you control the source and (I expect) deploy an encrypted MDE).

any viruses attack you get that could be a threat is one that screws with the file system, and that doesn't matter if you run a windows app or a DOS app attacking the file system will equally affect DOS or Windows programs. as DOS is one the way out (I think its dropped in Win 7) I don't think this is a good time to be even thinking about DOS programs.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 14
    As I wrote, everything is possible. The problem is that Access does not provide a way to automatically perform an action (copy, insert, delete, update, etc.) every time data are manipulated at the table level. Access has no triggers so everything must be done at the form level using VBA, and what it offers as replication mechanism looks more like a lame joke than a robust and trustworthy solution (search for "Replication" in Access help).

You're left with three choices:

1. Cope with the replication mechanisms of Access.
    2. Use VBA to perform the replication.
    3. Perform the replication outside Access (a scheduler with a command copying the database for instance).

Otherwise, your data must be stored outside Access (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.). These systems offer true data protection mechanisms, encryption, true data replication, triggers, log files, etc. and some of them run on operating systems that could (conditional!) be more stable and less sensible to virus attacks and data hacking.

In all cases, protection against viruses should not be a concern to you as a user or as a developer in Access.
    Have a nice day!

thanks to you healdem,

i encountered a virus about 5 years ago and as i can remember it will execute every 3rd day of the month and erases all the office documents and access programs. good thing i created a backup before it happen. and what i noticed was the dos data and programs and text files are still intact, as if nothing happens.

so whats bothering me now (or maybe im just a paranoid) if that kind of a virus will attack my PC again. and lose my data, all my sufferings will go for nothing.

im the one who controls the source and deploys the MDE.

let's go back to what i've posted:
    do you know guys how to create a backup copy to a different unit (pc) while using the program (let's say every 10 minutes, it will execute a command to backup the table)
    or
    append every record into a text file or dbase file?
    or
    any suggestions?

thanks so much.

thanks so much sinndho,

will try to sort things out..

Provided Answers: 59
    so thats filesystem virus, not an Access virus

when using VBA you can connect to multiple backend / datastores concurrently

I'd be tempted to write a log file, if you want to you could go down the route of writing the SQL in the log file. and then run any changes from your last known good backup.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

@healdem
    when using VBA you can connect to multiple backend / datastores concurrently
    could you teach me how to connect to multiple backend? or maybe a sample program may do.. or just the codes. so i can get an idea.

thank you

@ sinndho
    ou're left with three choices:

1. Cope with the replication mechanisms of Access.
    2. Use VBA to perform the replication.
    3. Perform the replication outside Access (a scheduler with a command copying the database for instance).
    maybe option 2 or 3 is better.
    so do you have an idea how to work with this?

many many thanks