Unanswered: SQL server error 18452

Hi all,

Good day to you. I ran into some issues with SQL server, gonna need any help I can get as I'm not very familiar with it.

Here's the situation:

I have a Windows Server 2008 Std in a workgroup. Previously someone installed SQL Server 2005 Express on this machine, but I don't have access to it. So I installed SQL Server 2008 Std, and created a named instance, with mixed more authentication. I also created a new sa and password for this installation.

Logging into the management studio and connecting to the 2008 instance using the sa account works, but when i try to create a new ODBC datasource, i got the error 18452, login failed for user 'sa', the user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. I get the same message when i tried doing it using windows account.

Is this due to the sa account for SQL 2005 Express? Or is it caused by some other settings?

Appreciate it if anyone could provide me with some advice regarding this. I will try to provide more info if required.

Thanks

Tested out on a different machine, it worked just fine. So I'm wrong about the sa part. Most of the material I found from google and here seems to deal with SQL Server 2005 or having 2 different servers for SQL. Are the resources applicable to my situation? I'd rather not mess up the server doing unnecessary things

Provided Answers: 11
    I would re-check the security settings to make sure that the instance really is running in mixed mode.

Unfortunately already done that, tried changing it back to windows authentication only, restarted, then changed it back to mixed authentication. Forgot to mention this earlier, but windows account login doesn't work either when i use it to add a datasource, my bad.
    I can connect to the instance using the sa account when in the management studio though

Provided Answers: 11
    I am assuming this is all on one machine (both ODBC and SQL Server instance). Let me know if this is wrong.

For the ODBC data source, are you specifying the instance name? It sounds somewhat like you are hitting the wrong instance.