Unanswered: Can't open Access databases

Hello,
    I am a rookie at Access so please bear with me. I have been tasked with helping to support several Access databases we utilize in our different work groups. They are on a company network using PCs and most are running XP Pro 2002 SP 3. We are running Access 2003 SP 3. The DBs are protected with simple user name and password security through Access but I do not know exactly how it works. There are several databases that have been spun off from the same seed DB so they are all basically the same format. I have admin rights to the DBs but I only have PC admin rights on my PC.
    Last week several users started to report that their databases would no longer open for them. They are able to enter their user name and password but Access just sits there and reports "not responding" when shut down with task manager. There is no error message.
    All of the databases will open and function properly from my normal PC. If I log on to one of the troubled PCs, I can open some DBs but not the ones the other users are having trouble with.
    One user has PCs in two different buildings and can use all of the DBs from one PC but can't from his second PC.
    At this point I am thinking it is an issue with a setting or Windows update conflict on the PCs themselves but I'm not sure where to look or if I'm even on the right track.
    Any suggestions on what to investigate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Provided Answers: 59
    sounds more likely its something your network trolls have done. I'd suspect they have done an update of the office installation and nuked something. ask 'em what they did (as if they will admit to doing anything.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Another thought... When Access opens a database is needs to create an LDF file in the same folder as the database. If your users are not allowed to create files in the folder that the database resides in then I think it will basically lock up like you are describing.

Thanks for the responses.
    I have done more checking and found that the issue seems to be tied to the PC itself. They can't open from one PC but can use the DB fine from another.
    I have a call into our IS support but haven't hear back from them yet.

Steve