Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: redirected restore rollforward pending

Could use some help here. I know I am missing something stupid. I am performing a redirected restore to a machine and can't get out of rollforward pending state. I have a full offline backup and perform
    Code:
    db2 restore db portaldb taken at 20100818201154 redirect without prompting
    I am not doing a set tablespace containers because of using automatic storage. Then issue
    Code:
    db2 restore db portaldb continue
    That finishes sucessfully, but I am in roll forward pending and cannot get it complete.
    I tried the same thing with an online backup that included logs and still same issue. Thanks for any help.
    Dave

You don't need redirect / restore continue if your tablespaces are using automatic storage.

For rollforward pending state, when restoring from an offline db backup - specify "without rolling forward" on the restore command or issue "db2 rollforward db <db name> stop" after the restore.

hi Bella,
    Thanks for the info. I tried what you suggested, but the rollforward fails with the following reason cannot be brought out of rollforward pending state until roll-forward has passed a point in time greater than or equal to "time", because node "0" contains information later than the specified time.

Quote Originally Posted by dav1mo View Post
    hi Bella,
    Thanks for the info. I tried what you suggested, but the rollforward fails with the following reason cannot be brought out of rollforward pending state until roll-forward has passed a point in time greater than or equal to "time", because node "0" contains information later than the specified time.
    Then you will need to rollforward to that time (and stop). Make sure that the you have the necessary log files in the appropriate location on the server before you do the rollforward.

Andy

rollforward fails with the following reason cannot be brought out of rollforward pending state until roll-forward has passed a point in time greater than or equal to "time", because node "0" contains information later than the specified time.
    Were you using an offline db image?

all Fixed

Thought I'd give an update to the problem being resolved. I had mentioned redirected restore, but had, also, attempted just a restore and still had the same issue. It turns out due to the logarchmeth being used here, we were unable to just restore the db onto a different machine without rolling forward. The resolution was to use ROLLFORWAD DB dbname COMPLETE. The AND COMPLETE key word did not work.
    Dave

It turns out due to the logarchmeth being used here, we were unable to just restore the db onto a different machine without rolling forward. The resolution was to use ROLLFORWAD DB dbname COMPLETE.

If a db is using archival logging, then restore from an offline backup will put it in a rollforward pending state by default. You need to tell db2 that you don't want to apply the logs by specifying "without rolling forward" on the restore command. If you forget to specify "without rolling forward" during the restore, then you can take the db out of rollforward pending state without applying the logs using "db2 rollforward db <db name> stop" or "db2 rollforward db <db name> complete" (it doesn't matter if you specify stop or complete - the same thing).

Online backup is different and you always have to apply the minimum number of logs during rollforward.