Unanswered: Cannot initialize MSDAORA error

I am getting the attached error.

Ok let me give you some background on my set up and what's going on. My coworker has an application that I developed in visual studio that allows him to easily pull data from our databases. Basically he just plugs in a time period and a drug name. This application then runs queries on my SS2k5 machine and returns the data to him in excel.

The report he is running runs uses an openquery on my box, which is used to pull data from an Oracle server. However, sometimes he gets the attached error.

This gets fixed if I restart the server. It happens once every week or two. I googled around and couldn't really figure out. I tried using the -g parameter to allocate more memory to non-Sql Server processes. But that still hasn't prevented the problem. Sometimes he'll get the error right after a restart, but another restart will fix it. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error2.JPG  

Provided Answers: 11
    Is your Oracle server really running version 7?

No it's running version 10.2

I would try using a newer provider. Either OLEDB, or the .NET provider for Oracle. Both should be available on the Oracle install disk.

I am a little confused what you mean. When I set up the linkedserver, I told it to use MSDAORA. Are you saying I should use something else? Or do I need to reinstall the Oracle software?

MSDA* providers are old. If you have a test system, try setting up the linked server with the Oracle .NET provider, or the OLEDB provider for Oracle. If these options are not listed, you will probably have to install them, as Microsoft has no interest in installing those drivers for you.