Unanswered: DB2 Online backup

Hi,

Can someone tell me what will be the impact if I will start taking online backups with option - exclude logs?
    Now the logs are included(even if the include logs option is not given) and this is creating a lot of retrieve operations during the online backup.

What is the impact for restore time?
    Is there any other impact?

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it won't waste a lot of time.
    if the archive log is very large ,maybe need a lot of time.

I wont make a huge difference but why to invest unnecessay time in executing rollforwards when we are priviledged to include logs in the backup image itself.
    May I know the need to exclude logs while taking online backup? How is that going to help you?

Provided Answers: 1
    Including the logs into the backup image will not rollforward the database automatically; you will still have to extract the logs and run the ROLLFORWARD command. The benefit of including the logs is that the backup image becomes self-contained; you don't need any other files to restore and rollforward the database to a consistent state.

Quote Originally Posted by db2cap View Post
    I wont make a huge difference but why to invest unnecessay time in executing rollforwards when we are priviledged to include logs in the backup image itself.
    May I know the need to exclude logs while taking online backup? How is that going to help you?
    Hey, thanks for your reply!

I want to exclude the logs from the backup because of 2 reasons(we are talking about more dbs):
    - there are retrieves of the logs during the online backup which are canceling other sessions using drives when all drives are in use (retrieve operation has higher priority)
    - we get also this error during one online backup:
    SQL2428N The BACKUP did not complete because one or more of the requested log files could not be retrieved.

I'm not sure what your question is. If it is "how to not include the logs" - use the EXCLUDE LOGS option. It's curios how much information one can find in the reference manual.

Hey again n_i!
    I started the thread with this question:
    "Can someone tell me what will be the impact if I will start taking online backups with option - exclude logs?"
    I am curious mostly about restore time impact.

If by impact, you mean elapsed time, then you will have to run a test yourself to find out. There are too many variables to consider that may vary from one db and activity level to another.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePig View Post
    I started the thread with this question:
    "Can someone tell me what will be the impact if I will start taking online backups with option - exclude logs?"
    There will be no impact to restore, because by default the logs are not extracted. There will be impact to rollforward, however, because you will have to extract the logs from the backup image first.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePig View Post
    what will be the impact if I will start taking online backups with option - exclude logs?"
    No impact as long as you have the required logs stored somewhere else. Online backups are useless without those logs.