Unanswered: DB2 history file

Hi,
    I am runnig DB2 9.1 on aix.
    When i execute "list history backup all for db" to identify log files required to rollforward database, i can see only 13 entries.
    1. What if timestamp i am looking for is not in the history file. In that case, how would I identify what log files will be required to recovery.
    2. I it possible that history can be saved for more than 13days. If yes, how do i do that?

Hi,

regarding point 2. The Rentetion Period is controlled by a db cfg Parameter:
    Recovery history retention (days) (REC_HIS_RETENTN) = 366
    The deafult is 366 days.

If you start the rollforward for the database, DB2 will prompt you for the first logfile required. If you specify a timestamp, DB2 will tell you which one is the latest required logfile.

Cheers
    nvk

I didn't change the default value and it is still set to 366 but can only view 13days entry. Any other place where it is controlled from?

There are many places. The history file could be replaced from a restore. Also the instance Owner can prune the history manually:
    PRUNE HISTORY timestamp [WITH FORCE OPTION] [AND DELETE]

But there is no pruning of history file also. I am also wondering, why it is for only 13days for all the databases instead of 366

Well,
    that's a question i can't answer. I don't know your System.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2cap View Post
    But there is no pruning of history file also.
    What do you mean by that? PRUNE HISTORY does just that, removes records from the history file.