Unanswered: SSAS Calendar Week commencing with split at month

Hi all,

Wonder if someone can help.

Our CFO wants to see a cube calendar that shows week commencing but stops at the end of month.

For example if the dates are

Monday 28th
    Tuesday 29th
    Wednesday 30th
    Thursday 1st
    Friday 2nd
    Saturday 3rd
    Sunday 4th

So for this example the week commencing is the 28th of Month 1 and Thursday is week commencing 1st of the next.

I am having a problem seeing how I can do this.

If I add the weeks to a standard calendar I get the week commencing 28th which includes the 7 days, naturally.

I cannot help feeling I am missing something obvious.

Cheers

Provided Answers: 54
    This is called a non-orthagonal measure. Non-orthagonal measures are wickedly tricky to use and manage, and the confusion that they cause for the users is often the reason that a business rejects the use of cubes.

Give serious consideration to whether you really want to do this. I've seen these used about twenty times (versus about a thousand cubes). Two of the twenty were successful, and a third was marginally successful after management forbade presentations using the non-orthagonal dimension/measure until after the user was certified competent to use it.

If you really want to do this, it isn't all that difficult to implement, the pain comes when people start to use it.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks Pat,

Most useful reply. I have been asked to 'just do it' but I what sort of problems will they see once it goes live. I assume the time functions will not work as advertised.

Or is there something even more sinister going on :-)

I am adding the week of month and some other columns to the existing date dimension we have and will see how it plays out.

I have to manually update the rows as I can not see a way of automating the working out of which date is in which month week. Well I can but by the time I have vb'd it out I may as well just do it.

Thanks for the reply.