Hi there,
I'm a newbie to database in general safe a few articles i've read recently here and there.

I'm in the process of applying to college and while I was thinking of something extra-curricular(and different) to do to impress whatever school i maybe applying to. I thought of helping my mum's school create a database that comprises of all their students (past and present) and some other useful info of them.

I also want to create my own program (GUI) where the data can be viewed and a few edits and additions can be made to this database.
Another thing I would love to do is to make the database both online and offline (i.e have one online for viewing from anywhere and one offline on the program I plan to build).

I really don't know how tough this may be but i'll make sure I put as much effort as I can into it as I have quite a bit of time on my hands in the next few weeks.
I was told to use Access first and later create the GUI that will execute the Access file. I don't know whether this is the best way or whether it's even possible as I'm a total newbie. Would love a little guidance from all of you.

Thanks a lot in advance