i have an application that is connecting to a sql server to run some stored procs. lately we've been getting deadlocks (we are trying to rectify this situation now...). but i've noticed that in addition to reporting the deadlock, the connection to the database is dropped and the client has to reconnect.
is this normal? even if it's not normal behavior, is it possible that sql server is not only deciding that my client will be the deadlock victim, but it is also terminating the connection? My dba is saying that it's not SQL Server that is killing the connection. he's got a try catch block to handle deadlocks...
but i'm still getting messages via sql native client that there was a deadlock, and then the connection is dropped. If it was only his try/catch block that was at issue, i imagine i wouldn't even get any detailed messages about deadlocks because his code just sends a generic number.

just thought i'd check to see with some other folks if it is possible that it's either sql server 2005 or if it's the sql native client (odbc driver) that we're using that's killing the connection....