Unanswered: Getting started with MS SQL 2k8

I have worked with MySQL for a while as a web developer, and feel like moving into more enterprise level DBs. Getting certified in Oracle seems to be a very expensive endevour, and I like learning on my own. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for learning MS SQL 2008, and getting some of the certifications (best books, etc).

I am looking to get certified in SQL 2k8 and I bought the package from Transcender:

Transcender IT Certification Prep Training Products - Practice Exams and More

only gripe is I had problems running it on 64-bit OS (win7) on my laptop so rather than fix that I installed it on a 32-bit OS.

I think they offer a money back guarantee (if you don't pass). You can also bundle their product with an exam voucher for the actual cert. exam which I think is like $20 or $40 off (I forget the exact discount).

whoah, whoah, whoah....

This site is run on mySQL

In any case...go google sql server express...download that, and start playing with it
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    whoah, whoah, whoah....

This site is run on mySQL

In any case...go google sql server express...download that, and start playing with it
    Thank you very much sir! I love MySQL but around here a lot of jobs/shops are MS...

SSExpress is ok, I don't think it comes with profiler though which is pretty key.

You can get a 180-day trial for SQL 2008 R2 for free as well.

Provided Answers: 11
    you could also pony up all of $50 to get the developer edition, that should have all of the bells and whistles (to encourage use of Enterprise Edition, no doubt ;-))