Thread: Odbc help!!!

Unanswered: Odbc help!!!

I'm trying to connect to my database with ODBC, i've managed it before with my database on a shared server using mysql 3.51, but now i've moved to a VPS i can't do it. I've updated the ODBC drivers as the new server has Mysql 5.0 and even checked the user, password, server IP & port settings with the tech on from the server ppl but they have no experience in ODBC does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, the only error msg I get is that ODBC cannot connect to the Server IP given.

Cheers

Mysql hosts settings

Can you please check whether your mysql server supports connection from external IPs?

Hi,

you can always try:

$ telnet localhost 3306
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    5.0.45_=RbwPg:,(Xch`*M)~e_+
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    replacing localhost with the IP address. The default port for MySQL server connections is 3306. If you get this message then it means that it is able to see it. If you get Connection Refused it means that it cannot see it. This in turn implies one of two things:

• The server is not running.
    • The network is not permitting a connection from this machine to the MySQL server.

You must attempt this from the machine which is attempting to connect to the MySQL server. I have experienced this in the past where testing from one computer it worked but yet from the machine which it was supposed to work no connection was possible. The issue turned out to be network related.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter