Lightbulb Unanswered: Replace Query Help

Hello all.

I have a table named HitachiMachDesc and I have a column named StandardEquipment within this table. What I am trying to achieve is to remove the line breaks from the fields throughout the whole column.

If someone would be able to tell me the query to do this it would be much appreciated.

Jamie.

P.S. I am an Access n00b

Provided Answers: 14
    You could try to create and run an update query such as:
    Code:
    UPDATE HitachiMachDesc SET HitachiMachDesc.StandardEquipment = Replace([StandardEquipment ], Chr(13), " ");
    Depending on how the line breaks are coded (chr(10), chr(13) or both), you'll have to adapt the second parameter of the Replace function.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    calling a table "HitachiMachineDesc" lets off the slight whiff of suspect table design

as a one off exercise I suspect you will need to run 3 queries
    UPDATE HitachiMachDesc SET HitachiMachDesc.StandardEquipment = Replace([StandardEquipment ], Chr(13), " ")
    UPDATE HitachiMachDesc SET HitachiMachDesc.StandardEquipment = Replace([StandardEquipment ], Chr(10), " ")
    UPDATE HitachiMachDesc SET HitachiMachDesc.StandardEquipment = Replace([StandardEquipment ], " ", " ")
    one each to replace the special non viewable characters for line feed & carriage return and one to replace two spaces with a single one.

you could possibly make them one composite query
    UPDATE HitachiMachDesc SET HitachiMachDesc.StandardEquipment = Replace(Replace(Replace([StandardEquipment ], chr(13)" "), Chr(10), " ")," "," ")
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you Sinndho and healdem both queries seem to work. Much appreciated!