Unanswered: Small Hotel Reservation/Booking Database

Me and my wife manage a small motel 10 rooms and a few month to month apartments with little to no budget and I am trying to learn how to make a database to help me manage them all together. I also work full time and bouncing back and forth double book rooms and trouble tracking reservations. I would also like to know if I cam make an app that would take a reservation on our website and add it in the database? Any help would be greatly apreciated trying to leard access on my own.
    Last edited by Imndeep; 09-09-10 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Imndeep View Post
    Me and my wife manage a small motel 10 rooms and a few month to month apartments with little to no budget and I am trying to learn how to make a database to help me manage them all together.
    Yes it is possible to do with Access.

In database design/theory, what you have is a special type of inventory control. Inventory control/scheduling is probably one of the most difficult software applications to create correctly in any development system (not just Access)

When writing software to handle this, it does not matter if you have 10 rooms or 10,000 rooms, it is just as difficult.

I would also like to know if I cam make an app that would take a reservation on our website and add it in the database?
    You can take online reservations. This is work require you to write a completely different application to run on a web server using a web scripting language.

Any help would be greatly apreciated trying to leard access on my own.
    Just to be realistic here:

If you are a beginner and learning Access on your own, this would easily take you over a 6 months, probably closer to a year, to create working on it full time.

To create the web site to take reservations and import into your system for a beginner to web site programming could easily take another year or probably more like two years to learn and create it if you could work on it full time.

If it were mine I would set up an in house web server and develop it with an Access front i for in house stuff and ASP.net fir the web pages. This way it will be in real time.

I would also urge you to check into the services that handle all this for you on their web site.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Thank you thats what I thought. Its not somthing I have to have just somthing I would like to learn to make my life a little easier between helping my wife manage this and my surveillance director position I put in about 100 hours a week. Could you recommend somthing to get me started I would still like to learn.

One definitely needs a textbook in the version you have. Easily found at Amazon or a big box book store.

Good luck.

www CahabaData com

If you are going to buy a book I would recommend that you get the Access Developer's Handbook. The 200 or 2002 version still has over 90% that will apply to any later version.

Here are sone links to get you started:

Database - Planning/Normalization
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11