Unanswered: Counting Certain Fields

I have an Access database which collects information on what was the decision of each case by each examiner. For example, John reviewed Case 1111 and Case 2222 and the decisions were “Allowed.” John also reviewed Case 3333, and the decision was “Denied.” However, Jane is also an examiner, and she reviewed Case 4444 with the decision being “Allowed.”

In Access’ report, how can I tell the program to search through all of John’s cases and give the count of how many cases John “Allowed”?

Essentially telling me…
    Allowed by John: 2
    Denied by John: 1

Thanks!

It is fairly easy. Create a new query and add the table that stores the information. Add the examiner's name, the decision and the decision again. Then click on the weird capital E (the Totals button). That will add a new row to the query designer. You want Group By in the first two fields and Count in the last. That should give you what you want.

Thanks, helped a lot!

How would I incorporate that into a report?

You would save the query and then create a new report. When you create a report the report wizard asks you what you want to use for the data. Just select the saved query for the report's record source.

Thank you so much for your help. Another question to pick your brain:

Along with the details provided in the initial post up on top, each case is accompanied by an entry date. We need to produce a monthly report of all cases reviewed. I know in a query, to pull the month of July, we would use "07/**/****." What I had in mind was to have a report fully prepared with all the formulas, and have a text box above for the user to enter in the month ("07" for example), some how let Access know that the entry of "07" means to enter "07" into the blanks in the query's "_ _/**/****" format. Once that text box is populated with the month, then all the information would be pulled up for July and the formulas to be put to use to do the reporting and analysis. If there is a better way, please let me know. The only reason why I want the information in the report sheet is because we can format how the final product looks like.

Thank you so much for everything!

Provided Answers: 59
    new question, new thread please
    dems da rules
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton