Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Can't Add or Edit data on a multi table form

Firstly my thanks to those that helped me with my previous question about having fields on a single form whose record sources are in different tables. I have that sorted. Sort of

Now I have an issue in that I am unable to Add or Edit records on the form!

The record source for the form is;
    Code:
    SELECT Customers.CustomerID, Customers.CompanyName, [Customer Machine Components].MachineNo, [Customer Machine Components].[Flash Size], [Customer Machine Components].FlashNo, [xMachine Configurations].Model, [xMachine Configurations].[X Dimension], [xMachine Configurations].[Y Dimension], [xMachine Configurations].[Z Dimension], [xMachine Configurations].[Drive Train], [xMachine Configurations].[Z Axis Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Drive Type], [xMachine Configurations].[Drive Brand], [xMachine Configurations].[Drive Config], [xMachine Configurations].[X Drive Steps Setting], [xMachine Configurations].[Y Drive Steps Setting], [xMachine Configurations].[Z Drive Steps Setting], [xMachine Configurations].[X Calibration], [xMachine Configurations].[Y Calibration], [xMachine Configurations].[Z Calibration], [xMachine Configurations].[Linear Acc], [xMachine Configurations].[Plunge Acc], [xMachine Configurations].[Centripetal Acc], [xMachine Configurations].[Homing Acc], [xMachine Configurations].[Feed Rate], [xMachine Configurations].[Travel Rate], [xMachine Configurations].[Plunge Rate], [xMachine Configurations].[Minimum Line Length], [xMachine Configurations].[Arc Error], [xMachine Configurations].[Corner Pause], [xMachine Configurations].[Home Position X], [xMachine Configurations].[Home Position Y], [xMachine Configurations].[ATC Position X], [xMachine Configurations].[ATC Position Y], [xMachine Configurations].[ATC Position Z], [xMachine Configurations].[Toolpath Version], [xMachine Configurations].[Image File Version], [xMachine Configurations].[Comms Device], [xMachine Configurations].[AMC Version], [xMachine Configurations].Gearing, [xMachine Configurations].[Hi X Motor], [xMachine Configurations].[Hi Y Motor], [xMachine Configurations].[Hi Z Motor], [xMachine Configurations].[Hi X Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Hi Y Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Hi Z Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Turbo X Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Turbo Y Drive], [xMachine Configurations].[Turbo Z Drive], [xMachine Configurations].Gantry, [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC G54 Z], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Acceleration], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Jerk Feed], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC NC Filter], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC ATC Spacing X], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC ATC Spacing Y], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC X/Y Speed], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Z Speed], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Seek X/Y Speed], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Tool Tip X], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC Tool Tip Y], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC GUI Ver], [xMachine Configurations].[A2MC OS Ver], [xMachine Configurations].A2MCMemory FROM (Customers INNER JOIN [xMachine Configurations] ON Customers.CustomerID = [xMachine Configurations].CustomerID) INNER JOIN [Customer Machine Components] ON Customers.CustomerID = [Customer Machine Components].CustomerID;
    Which is actually individual fields from 3 tables. The SQL expression builder assembled the record source.

I have attached an image of the relationships behind the form to this message.

The odd thing is that if I change the record source to a single table I am able to add/edit records to that table. But of course not the fileds that don't belong to the table.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Form Relationships.jpg  

Provided Answers: 6

Provided Answers: 2
    Thanks Paul

From what I can make out the problem is that it is a pass through query? So it could be that my approach is wrong.

All I want to be able to do is add 2 fields from a table )not originally linked to the form) and be able to add/edit records to the entire form.

What is the best way to do this?

Provided Answers: 6
    I believe pass through queries are still read-only, yes. A subform might be an option, depending on how the data relates.
    Paul