Cool Skills,Logic,Fundemental, or experiences?

Recently i am undergoing my internship in a IT company which is develop system related to domain names, existed a tonnes of functions,relationship between tables in oracle, java coding, java classes, java scripts..etc. 2 months passed, i am still do not clearly understand how the system works, the modules given by supervisor were complicated for me. But for them, they think that is a very simple modules which i should finish by the dateline. Unfortunately, i'd always delay even did wrong for some reports. What you guys think about it?

Maybe you are in the wrong business?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

meaning that i should not work in IT field ? ><

I have yet to work on any development project of any scope where there wasn't AT LEAST one major stake holder emphatic about how easy the project should be. Generally the level of confidence in the assertion is inversely proportional to the level of development experience possessed by the speaker.

In other words... get used to it.

In even more words, don't be afraid to tell them you're unsure how to do something (AFTER ACTUALLY TRYING IT YOURSELF!) and ask for guidance on what you can't figure out. I have put Jr dev's on my current project in your situation without realizing it. It's easy to forget that a relatively simple task still requires a solid grasp of basic fundamentals, and acquiring those basic fundamentals can be painful for a jr/intern (like it was for me). If you're two months in and have been paying attention enough to "kind of" understand how the system works, it would be well worth everyone's effort to spend some time with one of the more senior guys and walk through the parts where your hazy. If the Sr. guy is sharp, they'll appreciate that you're actively trying resolve a domain knowledge issue.
    Last edited by Teddy; 09-10-10 at 11:41.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

thank you teddy! i did tell seniors i'm poor in programming and logic mind to manipulate OO programming. Every modules they given to me need time for me to figure out and take time to explore, but they said its very simple task. Of course i did know that for them is easy task. That why i'm always feel sense of pressure break while i'm doing my works.

(p/s: it's time to sharpen up my programming skills)

Quote Originally Posted by polar View Post
    meaning that i should not work in IT field ? ><
    Meaning that you either accept and welcome a challenge with self-confidence in your ability to meet it, or you walk away declaring it too difficult or not rewarding enough for the effort.

This is the way the IT industry is.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    Meaning that you either accept and welcome a challenge with self-confidence in your ability to meet it, or you walk away declaring it too difficult or not rewarding enough for the effort.

This is the way the IT industry is.

YESH !! i must accept !! but my ability is not enough for me to handle so much of challenges. i will try my best blindman! Last week my PM asked me went can i finish the report function, what i have reply to him was: with my ability i cant estimate how long i will take. >< but he was a nice guy, giving chance until 14/9

Have fun storming the castle!

If you have specific questions, go ahead and post them on the the forums and we will try to help you along.

blindman

yeah!! i will beat it down

huyooyyy~~ im finished my 2 reports. sometimes we need motivation rather than coding skills =x

Thomas Edison once said that success was 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration.

blindman

That may be so, but he said "&*$#@*!!!" on numerous occasions.

...and a certain percentage of his success may have been due to stealing the ideas of others, as well.

blindman

if it makes you feel any better I'm currently looking at a series of databases where everything happens by magic - cascading triggers or various processes running in the background that I don't have access to. Then they have loads of duplicate tables all over the place - some are real and some are there just to confuse. The design of the system is a joke and then to top the whole thing of every table and field is made up of either french or portuguese acroynms that mean nothing to me. It wouuld help if someone could explain it all to me but that isn't going to happen. I've walked from better jobs but sadly I need the money

Often the problem with managers is that they have no idea of what's achievable. While developers doing the managing have no idea either how to manage or how to allow people to expand into a role.

The problem you appear to have is that you haven't a clue what's required let alone how to implement it - I'd take the chap out for a coffee and take along a big pad of paper. Don't let him leave until you understand what's required. Try working out what you can do, try and combine this with what will be usefull to them and then work out what needs to be done each day to achieve these goals. Explain to them patiently that the other bits will need to be added later either by you (if they still want to pay) or someone else.

My new chap does have one redeeming feature in that he's rated 2100 at chess so I figure I should get some good games in.