Unanswered: SQL4401C error on v9.7 fp2

Hi all,

I have set up a DB2 v9.7 with Fixpack 2 and get an error by starting the DAS. After many tries to overcome this problem I have no more ideas how to deal with this and I hope to get some solutions by this forum.

I installed the DB2 with ESE and created an instance manually. I created a DAS with "db2admin create". By applying "db2admin start" the system needs a while and the following message appears:
    Code:
    SQL4401C  The DB2 Administration Server encountered an error during startup.
    Inside db2dasdiag.log are the following entries:
    Code:
    2010-09-08-11.12.35.762000+120 I2H252             LEVEL: Event
    PID     : 1168                 TID : 1420
    FUNCTION: DB2 Tools, DB2 administration server, rrm_main, probe:20
    DATA #1 : String, 47 bytes
    DB2 Administration Server started successfully.

2010-09-08-11.17.42.051000+120 I256H261           LEVEL: Error
    PID     : 988                  TID : 1088
    FUNCTION: DB2 Tools, DB2 administration server, readRrmSqlca, probe:20
    CALLED  : DB2 Common, OSSe, OSSHIPCQueue::get
    RETCODE : ECF=0x90000013 Time out
    I already recognized the (further) deprecation of the DAS. I also installed Data Studio and started to try it out. If I use it and try to connect to my instance, there have to be started the DAS. Otherwise the connection to the instance did not work.

Is there a solution/workaround for this problem?

Thanks,
    Andreas

Hi,

which OS are you working with? Windows, because of 'db2admin create'?
    Could post the Admin Config, please? (db2 get admin cfg)

Cheers,
    nvk

Hi,

yes I work with windows (2k3). The admin cfg shows the following:

Code:
                Admin Server Configuration

Authentication Type DAS                (AUTHENTICATION) = SERVER_ENCRYPT

DAS Administration Authority Group Name  (DASADM_GROUP) =

DAS Discovery Mode                           (DISCOVER) = SEARCH
     Name of the DB2 Server System               (DB2SYSTEM) = DUMA

Java Development Kit Installation Path DAS   (JDK_PATH) = AUTOMATIC (C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\java\jdk)
     Java Development Kit Installation Path DAS   (JDK_64_PATH) = AUTOMATIC (C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\java\jdk)

DAS Code Page                            (DAS_CODEPAGE) = 0
     DAS Territory                           (DAS_TERRITORY) = 0

Location of Contact List                 (CONTACT_HOST) =
     Execute Expired Tasks                   (EXEC_EXP_TASK) = NO
     Scheduler Mode                           (SCHED_ENABLE) = ON
     SMTP Server                               (SMTP_SERVER) =
     Tools Catalog Database                    (TOOLSCAT_DB) = TOOLSDB
     Tools Catalog Database Instance         (TOOLSCAT_INST) = DB2
     Tools Catalog Database Schema         (TOOLSCAT_SCHEMA) = TOOLCAT
     Scheduler User ID                                       =

Diagnostic error capture level              (DIAGLEVEL) = 3
    best,
    anost

Does the TOOLSDB exists as given in the config?
    Because yor two messages from das-log say, that the server starts successfully, but times out on the tools-catalog.
    You could remove these entries and try to start the DAS.

Cheers
    nvk

I created the TOOLSDB with create tools catalog... command. However after resetting the admin cfg, stopping and starting the db2admin, the error is still the same.

I also tried to start the db2admin without existing TOOLSDB before. Happen with the same error.

Best,
    anost

You did the recreation after applying the FP2, right? It's no issue with a missing upgrade?
    Is the port from the DAS blocked? (Don't think so, should be different error message).

I've no clue. Did you raise a PMR?

Cheers
    nvk

Yes I did the recreation after installing the fixpack. I also used dasupdt. Before using the fixpack I had an installation of the DAS by the installation routine of DB2. But I don't know if there was the DAS running without errors or not.

Wrt. the ports I have no experience how to check this. Inside the services file is the following db-stuff: db2c_DB2 50000/tcp and db2c_DB2CTLSV 50001/tcp.

What is a PRM?

Best,
    anost

Provided Answers: 1
    DAS usually listens on port 523, and this cannot be changed. Use the netstat utility to check if this port is free while DAS is stopped.

PMR stands for "problem management record"; it is created when you call IBM software support.

Thanks for your reply.

No, there appears no port number = 523, if I run the netstat. But also not, after I issued db2amin start.

Relating to the PMR, I am not sure about our support options. We have a scholarship license (or how it is called) for DB2.

Best,
    anost

Hi all,

I want to give an update on info wrt. the above error. There are 2 parts. One thing I want to mention before: I use Remote Desktop Connection to access to the database holding computer.

1) If I log on there with the "windows root"-user (built-in account for administering the computer) the DAS starts without error-message by using "db2amin start". With every other user (also with the same rights as the build in account) the error came up. So the use of the built in "windows root" user could be a workaround. But this is not really satisfying me, also because it is not in my case to use this account.

2) If I start the service "DB2DAS - DB2DAS00" by using the Administrative tools/Services window OR "net start "DB2DAS - DB2DAS00" inside cmd, the DAS starts also without error. Regardless of which user (with admin rights) I use.
    Here the big question for me is:
    Does the usage of "db2admin start" more than just starting the service (as happen with the above usage)?

Maybe also one of you has another idea wrt. the error with my given info?

Best,
    anost

Provided Answers: 1
    You must be a member of the local Administrators group to use the db2admin command. To start and stop services generally you don't need that kind of authorization.

Yes, I know. What I tried to describe above: the "db2admin start" error comes up whatever local Administrator account I use. Just with the so called built-in account (I think this account was created during windows installation) runs the "db2admin start" without an error!

Whats about the differnce between running "db2admin start" and "net start "DB2DAS - DB2DAS00""? Does anybody know if there is one? Does the first on more than starting a service?

Best,
    anost

Smile

Downloaded and installed fixpack 3 today and the error is gone...