Thread: User Accounts

Unanswered: User Accounts

I'm making an access database that will be used within various departments of an organisation, it's a pretty small database but I want it so that only certain members can see and enter data into certain tables.

I have a table called User and User Group.

The User table has attributes such as User Name, Password, Name, etc and has User Group No as a foreign key.

The User group table merely has the User Group No and the User Group name. (User Group examples, Admin, Finance, Depot, End User)

I'm wanting a log on screen where a user types in their username and password and depending on what user group they are assigned to they can only view certain parts of the data.

Is this possible? I'm at a bit of a loss as where to start to be honest but any help or advice would be much appreciated!

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    yes its perfectly possible
    however why request users logon, and why have your own user table, when you can pick up the network logon/userid from an API call.. see the code bank or Google: dev ashish api

assign that network logon to the workgroup file
    query the workgroup file to find what permissions that user id has and take appropriate action
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Cheers for the quick reply, how would I go about doing this.

If the code you mentioned already knows what user is logged in, I'll still need user accounts on the database won't I? only with this code their logons will already be retreived?