Unanswered: my first database..(preserving data issue)

Hi there,

This is my first thread / and attempt at creating a database.

I would like to create a database that stores quotes I have given to customers.
    Within the quote are my standard terms and conditions.

The T&C will be put in a separate table so I can easily call it up. The concern I have is if I alter the T&C this will automatically alter previous quotes as they are pooling the data from the same table.

Is there a way of preserving the quotes once I have submitted them to the customer, so even if I change the T&C in later quotes this will not affect the new quotes?

Many thanks

Marcus

Provided Answers: 59
    have a table containing the T&C's
    have a table containing the quotes
    have a table (an intersection table) which associates a specific quote with specific T&C's

modify your form that creates the T&C's so that you cannot change the that specific T&C if its already in use with a quote that has been sent. allow yourself the opportunity to modify T&C's if the quote they associated to hasn't yet been issued.

alternatively copy the T&C's tp a quote T&C's table which is then read only so you know no one can tinker with the T&Cs
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm still trying to get my head around what you have suggested. Sounds good, I just need to figure out the nitty gritty of how it is done. I'm just going through a tutorial at the moment so your comments will hopefully make more sense to me when I've finish. cheers Marcus