Talking Unanswered: student security issue

Hi,

Me and my collegues are responsible for an educational server with some student databases on it. Besides students, other people use this server too. We have installed "DB2 v9.5.0.4", "s090429", "MI00303", and Fix Pack "4".

In a student database the students can create tables in their own implicit schemas and fill these the way they like. Previously we had some security issues at times where students where loading large volumes of data in these tables. This consumed too much disk space on the server. We know the students don't really need such large amounts of space because they only make small SQL exercises .

My question is now as follows. Is there a way of limiting the size of a database, or their contained individual objects like tables or schemas? My guess is that we might have to configure the table space in some way. It would be good if this can be specified for every individual user as we don't want a few students to "steal" away most available space from the other innocent students.
    Also, is it possible to query a database for any "large" tables (by specifying some threshold in megabytes for example)? From that we could derive which students are to blame . Maybe this is possible with the db2 control center (gui), but I am not sure. In this way we could spot some problem areas and warn students separately.

Could you point me to specific sections of the IBM manual for further reading on these administrative topics? Any comments are welcome.

Regards,
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by tuplerecord View Post
    Is there a way of limiting the size of a database, or their contained individual objects like tables or schemas? My guess is that we might have to configure the table space in some way. It would be good if this can be specified for every individual user as we don't want a few students to "steal" away most available space from the other innocent students.

Check maxsize here:
    IBM DB2 9.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Thumbs up owu sainices

Hi,

Thank you. That link is very helpful to me.

Regards,
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Thanks for the link will check on the maxsize