Unanswered: DB2 Log Check and few other questions

Hi All,
    I'm from Portal/WAS background and not much of a DB guy.

Recently, I've been given responsibility to handle the DB2 associated with Portal. I've had few questions w.r.t the DB2 and I really appreciate if you could shed some light on these things below:

• How do I check the DB2 status? Is there a command to check the DB2 status?

• I was asked to check the logs of DB2 frequently. Where are the logs located? Which is the main log file I can check for DB2 for any errors etc.,?

• What else can be monitored regularly on DB2 for frequent health checks?

• How to check for performance activity on DB2?

Appreciate if you could answer these things above.. This will really make my life uncomplicated.

Thanks a lot

Provided Answers: 5
    What DB2 version and OS are you using?

Andy

hi,
    thanks for your reply..

DB2 version i'm using is 9.1 with Fix Pack level 9

OS is 64 bit Linux machine..

Thanks

Provided Answers: 5
    1) How to check the status of DB2: It depends on what you mean. You can check the instance using db2gcf. You can check the databases of the instance by the command: "db2 list active databases".

2) There are 2 kinds of logs in DB2. There are the transaction logs DB2 uses to make sure that the database is always in a consistent state. These are not meant to be looked at by the user. There is the diagnostic log file that the instance uses to record things into. This is the one you probably interested in. There is one for each instance. It is usually located under the instance owner's home directory in sqllib/db2dump/db2diag.log.

3) Just about everything in DB2 can be monitored. What you need to look at depends on your particular situation.

4) There are a lot of things that can be looked at to check the performance.

I suggest that you get on the IBM site for V9.1 and read through the documentation there to better familiarize yourself with the product.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Thanks Andy for the reply.. Appreciate that..

I will take a look at the site you mentioned..