Unanswered: asp.net (iis) over access

hey all,
    i have a client who has an application, tailored exactly for his needs, written in VBA over Access database.
    now he wants to turn it into a website (e-commerce).
    my first question is if it's possible to stick with the access DB?
    anyone has this kind of experience?
    the other thing is that currently we want to split the application, letting the client go on doing everything he does in the application as it is (RDP on the server) while the website also using the same DB.
    there shouldn't be many users but i'd be glad to hear about benchmarks if anyone has this kind of experience.
    thanks
    hallel

A RDP Client is quite quick because all its doing over the web is screen dumps. To answer your question relates to speed and secuirty. A normal Broadband connection is asynchronous meaning the upspeed is a fraction of the download speed, except in a hosted environment. I would suggest that you upload only what is relevant on the web and keep the rest private. Yes you can use Access97 upwards without a problem. I have used an Access 97 (Jet) databases for years and it received over 10 million hits in one year.

Security is an issue, Access is not particularly keen on interruptions and with a Terminal Server you can manage the Session TimeOut so that it holds onto the users if there is an issue with the WAN. This is generally used in conjunction with VPN.

Asp.Net is fine and works well. I would consider keeping the database on the web down to the minimum until you put your a Terminal Server up there or something similar.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by hallel View Post
    hey all,
    i have a client who has an application, tailored exactly for his needs, written in VBA over Access database.
    now he wants to turn it into a website (e-commerce).
    my first question is if it's possible to stick with the access DB?
    anyone has this kind of experience?
    the other thing is that currently we want to split the application, letting the client go on doing everything he does in the application as it is (RDP on the server) while the website also using the same DB.
    there shouldn't be many users but i'd be glad to hear about benchmarks if anyone has this kind of experience.
    thanks
    hallel
    I would split the database into a front end and back end.

You can use a Access front end via RDP

You can then recreate a new web based front end that uses the same Access back end.

You can use both the a web based front end and an Access Front end with the same back end.

If at some point you need to upscale, you can change the back end to an SQL server and still use the web and Access front end.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11