Unanswered: Help required with PostGres Spatial Query

Hi, we have a number of records stored in a database that represent polygons to do with mapping. We are using the Geometry datatype and have inserted the relevant longitude / latitude data into the database.

The issue I am having is when I run the following query

Code:
    WHERE ST_Contains(location, ST_GeomFromEWKT('SRID=4326;POINT(138.428092 -31.888547)')) is true
    I can get back more then one result as it's possible for a the longitude / latitude to exist in one or more polygons.

At it's most basic we have one row that contains a boundary for a country another row that contains a boundary for a state and then another row that contains the boundary for a city.

If I run the above query I get back the result for the country, state and city.

I want to be able to get back the smallest possible result (in this case the city).

Thanks for any help/ ideas
    Regards
    Mark

I assume that they are closed polygons with an area?
    If so add an order by area(...) ascending function and a limit clause to 1

select .... from .. where .... order by area( ...) asc limit 1;

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Mark

Outer boundary of polygons / multipolygons in a result set

Hi, I'm not sure if this is possible but given a result set that contains a list of geometry types (These types contain both single and multipolygon) is it possible to get the outer most boundary and create a polygon from these items?

We have a list of polygons that are child polygons of a single polygon (Once again, we have a one to many cities that make up a state. I would like to build a new polygon at state level given all the cities (city boundaries) that make up a state.

Thanks again for any help
    Regards
    Mark

I accept with information:the Mascot will be there for sure next week. Unless it gets caught up in some Olympic boycott or anti-Chinese protest. That's a promise.

Have you looked into the PostGIS module?
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert