Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30

    Unanswered: Roll Forward recovery

    Hi, I am trying to test roll forward recovery on db2 v8.2 DPF , AIX 5.3 and having following issues:
    a) When I issue db2_all to update db cfg to update TRACKMOD, the command returns 'update db cfg using ... completed ok' But does not update.
    Initially I have issued db2 update db cfg command to update the node 0 and it updated successfully. Also it allows me to update db cfg for individual nodes without an error.

    b) Do I need to change both parms LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGRETAIN to enable archive logging or just LOGARTHMETH1 is suffice.

    c) Do I always need to use db2_all to update db cfg in DPF environment ?
    Thanks all for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by p19689 View Post
    a) When I issue db2_all to update db cfg to update TRACKMOD, the command returns 'update db cfg using ... completed ok' But does not update.
    Initially I have issued db2 update db cfg command to update the node 0 and it updated successfully. Also it allows me to update db cfg for individual nodes without an error.
    You need to restart the database for the change to take effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by p19689 View Post
    b) Do I need to change both parms LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGRETAIN to enable archive logging or just LOGARTHMETH1 is suffice.
    Changing LOGARTHMETH1 is enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by p19689 View Post
    c) Do I always need to use db2_all to update db cfg in DPF environment ?
    No, you don't always need to use db2_all. However, each partition has its own database configuration parameter file. If you want to keep parameters on all partition in sync, you will have to update them on each partition somehow.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30
    Hi, Thanks. I have stopped and started the instance but still can't see db cfg updates with db2_all ! But I can update db cfg for individual nodes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30
    Hi n_i,

    I have issued db2_all "update db cfg using TRACKMOD YES" command. Then I issued db2 "get db cfg show detail" to see the delayed value. But it hasn't changed, it's similar to the current value. We are running db2 v8.2 with DPF (10 nodes) on AIX 5.3.

    Do you think anyother reason this command hasn't take effect other than not restating db2 ? (As I told earlier, I stop and restart db2 instance).

    Thanks .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    No, I don't know why it does not work. May be inter-partition communication (by rsh or whatever method you use) is not configured properly in your environment, and db2_all does not work. By the way, you should use db2_all to check the database configuration as well.

    Do you mind copying and pasting your entire session, including command output?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369
    And also try:
    db2_all "db2 update db cfg using TRACKMOD YES"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    And also try:
    db2_all "db2 update db cfg using TRACKMOD YES"
    What a sharp eye!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks, it worked fine but I had to include the 'for db' name as below as well.
    db2_all " db2 update db cfg for testdb using TRACKMOD YES"


    Can you pl assist me to issue the db2 update db cfg command with a varibale. as below. Currently I am having error 'Value indicated by the database configuration parameter "LOGARCHMETH1" is not valid'


    db2_all "db2 update db cfg for testdb using LOGARCHMETH1 DISK:/database/$N/testdb/archive"

    I want to pass $N as node numer (NODE001 etc) ?

    Hi N_i , you mentioned that LOGRETAIN is not necessary. Is it phased out ? What's the role of this parameter ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by p19689 View Post


    db2_all "db2 update db cfg for testdb using LOGARCHMETH1 DISK:/database/$N/testdb/archive"

    I want to pass $N as node numer (NODE001 etc) ?
    It's not how you specify the partition number when invoking db2_all. May be it's time for you to read some manuals?

    Quote Originally Posted by p19689 View Post

    Hi N_i , you mentioned that LOGRETAIN is not necessary. Is it phased out ? What's the role of this parameter ?
    This is also explained in the manual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •