Question Unanswered: Which Form_(Events) To USE??

I have a question about which FORM_Event to use?

Here is the situation, I am trying to build a field on a record from two other fields that the user enters. I ask the users to enter a First name and a Last name, and I am trying to programatically put them together for the Full Name, which is also a field in the table I am attempting to update. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been beating my head against the wall for three days now, and I am no closer to a solution.

I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions. I have tried using the Form_Load, and Form_Dirty events, but no luck.

I patiently await the flow of wisdom. Thank you.

Provided Answers: 59
    first off don't store derived data... so don't bother trying to store the composite of the forename and surname

as to events
    you need to work out what events are required
    off hand
    thats going to be when the forename or surname changes
    AND
    when the current record changes

that means the on change, on lost focus events for the controls for forename and surname
    the forms on current event
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem - you are too fast! i just finished typing this so i will post it anyway even tho you are saying the same stuff:

why do you want 'also' a field Full Name (!!!! why a space in the field name which forces the ugly [Full Name] notation !!!!).
    your also suggests you already have fields FirstName, LastName in the table...
    ..what do you expect to be able to do with [Full Name] that you cannot do with the existing FirstName and LastName fields?
    ..how will you handle the mooted [Full Name] field when correcting a typo in FirstName from 'Fred$' to 'Fred'?

there may be good reasons for wanting a calculated field FullName (no space in the name !!!!). do you have them?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, but I have to store the derived name for a later process. It links the people in this table I am working on to another table with all of their individual budgetary requirements, and then I can send them their data thru Outlook, have them make any necessary changes, send it back to me and update my main table.

This is complicated by the fact that I am a Financial Analyst, trying to develop a database, with a lot of specific requirements, that will simplify the process of Budget Formulation/Submission.

But, I am making headway, and I do appreciate all the advice I receive from this forum...

Well, I am a noob to MS Access, but I do know enough not to put spaces in my field names. I use First_Name, Last_Name, Full_Name, etc....

And I have very good reasons for needing a full name, because it is needed to link to another table. Which only has the person's Full_Name.....so, please do not criticize my requirements, I did not not develop them, nor do I have much control in changing them, after all, the customer is always right, correct? If what they want cannot be done, fine, but if it can be done, I will try to do it.

Thanks anyway...

you're welcome anyway...

izy

PS i'm too old and grey to get wound up by poorly posed questions or snotty reactions to my attempt to help. best of luck!
    currently using SS 2008R2