Unanswered: looking for VLDB resources (books / sites)

I did a search on Amazon, wow, looks like there is nothing out there, either that or searching for "VLDB" is not a good search term. Looks like there is one recent publication (and there are no reviews of it).

Amazon.com: Secure Data Management: 7th VLDB Workshop, SDM 2010, Singapore, September 17, 2010, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science / Information Systems and Applications, incl. Internet/Web, and HCI) (9783642155451): Willem Jonker, Milan

Any suggestions on other books or online sites I should checkout?

Provided Answers: 54
    VLDB is a hard nut to crack, because the concept of "Very Large" as it relates to "Databases" is very, very fluid. I did an MSDN RoundTable presentation for Microsoft about a decade ago, and at that point in time a VLDB was somewhere short of a Terrabyte.

Today, you need to start to think about scale issues somewhere around 400 Gb, but a Terrabyte is just a larg-ish OLTP database, it isn't a VLDB.

When you get into the four to six Terrabyte size today, you've broken into the big leagues. VLDB starts somewhere beyond that, but by the time you reach that point you need to start planning for scaling, etc. You need to start looking hard at your database, understanding the application and how it accesses the database, and start working with the developers, testers, etc. to keep the beast managable and under control.

I really think that the whole concept of VLDB is starting to "wash away" and is being incorporated into the responsibilities of the "high end DBA" instead of being a separate discipline. I can't remember the last time I got an ad for a VLDB DBA, I know it has been more than a year and maybe more than two... Once the recruiters stop looking for a discipline, it is effectively dead.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 54
    FYI, the workshop you cited was held a week ago today. I'd be very surprised if there were any reviews published yet!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.