Unanswered: Selling/protecting my msaccess program. How can you prevent piracy?

I've created a specialized database customer tracking system in Access that I've sold to a few small local businesses. I know these people so I don't think they'll hand out the program to others, but I've been thinking about going big time and selling online.

The problem is of course is how do you prevent buyers from just handing it to another person? Obviously there is no perfect solution, but I'd like to make it at least difficult as these customers are single person franchisees that usually aren't computer savvy.

I've made it into an .mde file to prevent theft of my code but can't figure out yet how to create some sort of online registration/activation code. I've google'd but haven't come across much yet in this area.

Any help/direction from you all out there?

Thanks,

Ron

Provided Answers: 59
    try searching on this forum, there was something about thins recently (last 2 or 3 weeks or so)

try searching the code bank
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    If you're talking small numbers of copies here, you could also consider 'branding' each copy, as I've done before.

An MDE file doesn't allow for the creation of forms or reports, so what I've done is 'branded' each one with the name of the company I'm licensing the database to. Most companies, for instance, don't want to print out invoices or cost estimates with another company's name conspicuously on it. Likewise most companies wouldn't want an employee using a database asking why another company's name was displayed prominently on the software.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 7
    what I did as created a Key that was in a INI file used there Company on every report
    then if someone copy the database gave it to any company so and other company and they tryed to change the company name it would not work and if they did not change the company name the reports said the wrong company name on the reports.

a differance way of look at it

my THINKING is if the GM see a report with his figs on it but had a differance compnay name I think sh.... will hit the fan LOL
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

great ideas so far. I like the branded copy type deal although this is specialized health club type chek in system so not too many print-outs, but the screen headers are a nice thought.

This is going to be trickier than I thought.

Hi Ron,
    In my view, if you create some sort of code to capture that particular computer's name then anyone trying to copy and run the db on another computer will not work as the db will have another computer's name on it. hope this helps but I am not quite good with coding
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

I've been toying with the pulling of the computer name, hashing it and creating an activation code from it. I may just go that route

The problem of that is portability, meaning they cant move it to a new computer, which may be fine, they will just need to email me for a new activation code. Piracy still exists, but it's more than just handing off the CD, its working with another person and lying directly to me saying its for them.

Again, I don't expect 5k customers since they can get similar (but shitty) corporate product for free.

good luck, sorry that I could not be of any more help
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11